Dodging the critters and speed traps

Discussion in 'Roadkill and other Musings' started by packimocity, Jun 25, 2012.

1. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe there is a subforum for "roadkill"..lol

Yesterday (pre-dawn) I left MoT, Bartlett, NH for home (NE PA) and here is my roadkill total...in my new coupe, no less!

VT: dodged 2 squirrels crossing I-91
    VT: smashed into a flying crow(?) or grackle(?)

MA: dodged 1 speed traps...I was not doing the speed limit, but neither was the motorcycle glued to my rear bumper

CT: dodged 1 more squirrel on I-84
    CT: dodged 2 speed traps

NY: dodged 2 speed traps...one was an unmarked SUV, and the other flagged down the car behind me...??

PA: dodged 1 baby groundhog on I-84
    PA: dodged 2 young deer less than one mile from my driveway..that would have been a disaster if I didn't spot them feeding onthe side of the road

I'm convinced that my radar signature is very small or else I was just lucky

all in all...a good long day (7+ hours of drivetime) with only 1 dead bird

pac

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Your aim must be off. I would have had a much higher body count with that many viable targets.

:devil:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Behind a Clubman on rural Ohio roads this past Saturday.

Bunny decides to cross the road, it zigs, the Clubby zags, hits bunny with both front and rear tires. Flips bunny in air...I zigged, missed the corpse. Like I really need another smushed critter in my grill. I've had my fair share already.

4. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I hit a cat January 1. It was dark on a 2 lane country road. It was facing the opposite way on the shoulder so no tale-tail glowing eyes. By the time I saw it there was not time to slow down. It then decided it needed to cross the street right now. I heard the thunk and no doubt it was dead. I feel a bit guilty for not stopping but really what was there to do? Anyway I got to my friends house a few minutes later, I get out and notice a large chunk of my front aero kit is missing. Next day I take a closer look my radiator, condenser, core support, radiator fan are all broken/bent(no leaks). Insurance covered it all.

They do say it is better to hit the animal than try and swerve but when you know what kind of damage it could do it's hard to do.

5. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Swerving to miss wildlife only works under certain conditions

The road surface should be dry to avoid skidding out

The road should be relatively empty as most of my interstates were in rural New England on an early Sunday

and you should spot them before they bolt across the road

Of course these do not apply if you have Remy Julienne driving skills

pac