1st Gen R53 Cooper S Door locks not working

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, Jul 2, 2009.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Just got my car back from the shop. Neither door lock is not working. Neither from the remote key, or from the toggle. Anyone have any suggestions before I take it back?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Did they at least fix something else while they were screwing up your door locks?

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    :D Why yes... the car looks great actually. I will post some pics of the progress since the accident once I get them off my iPhone. Getting the graphics put back on tomorrow and getting it clear bra'd to avoid that "sand stormed look". But I digress. The door locks are not working. I see the lights flash, but no action on the locks. I know the key works since I can open the windows/sunroof with the remote.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :D Good to hear.

If I was to guess I'd say maybe they just missed one connector when they were putting things back together. Either that or maybe there's a fuse specific to the locks that's out or loose. I got my MINI back from the body shop a couple years ago and something didn't work -- seems like it was the wipers -- turned out they'd pulled a few fuses while they were working and one of them didn't get pushed all the way back in when they put them back. It was pretty obvious too. The cover of the fuse box under the hood was loose so before I snapped it down I looked in there and and could see one fuse standing up higher than the others. Clicked it back in and that was all it took.

According to my Bentley's (for Gen1 cars), kick-panel fuse box fuse #F37 is for "central locking".....might be worth checking.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Big "duh" moment on me. Will check that first thing in the a.m.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep... it was the fuse.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    That's what you want, a simple (cheap) solution. Was it toast or just loose (or missing) like mine?

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    It was toasted. The shop probably shorted it while r&i the door locks and replacing the lock on the hatch. Sorry, boot.

9. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got it back Jerry. Did it take them a long time to do? It seems like that accident was awhile ago. My Jetta is in the shop now for a rear ending while in Vegas and "sand damage" for the front. The MINI will be going in for it's own "sand damage" claim soon too.

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    2 months and a week. But only 3-4 days longer then estimated. There was almost 160 labor hours involved in repairs. The amazing part is that the car was aligned with out any issues. All seams look good and after two days of driving I hear no shakes, rattles, whistles or any other noises. The paint job looks better then when the car was new. Amazingly every little bit of wear and tear that you encounter in every day use was damaged more in the accident and thus got fixed. Bottom line is we are really glad the car did not get totaled. We would be hard pressed to find another fully loaded BRG with a silver roof.

11. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Sounds cool, bring it up on the 11th :wink5: and we'll see how it looks :cornut:

12. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    wtf

what happened to your car :confused:. Sounds like it blew up, caught on fire or bit by a bus :cryin:.
    Glad it turned out ok for you :cornut:.

Mark

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It was rear ended

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    It was rear ended by a five ton truck and pushed into a car in front of it. The highlights of repairs are:

New tail gate with all the bits and pieces
    New rear aero kit bumper with all the bits and pieces
    New front aero kit bumper
    New core support
    New hood
    New paint bellow the belt line
    New driver's seat

From what I can tell most of the interior pieces back of the back seats were replaced also.

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's a lot of new kit, esp. when you consider all the lesser bits and pieces they must have done as well. You're lucky the only thing you found amiss when you got it back was a fried fuse! I've had a lot more trouble after much less extensive repairs. After 4 accidents (2 different cars) in 6 years and plenty of recommendations from friends and others I still haven't found a competent local body shop.

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    There are a few minor things that need to be fixed. Like the JCW emblems that were placed incorrectly (back went to front). The rear bumper has a small bubble, but the shop will be taking care of it next week. Over all I am very happy. The shop was very professional. It shows in their clientele. All higher end cars like MBW, MB, Porsche, Ferrari. My Mini was pretty much on their low end of cars.