Dragon Draggin' again this year!

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 9 (April 27 - May 1, 2011)' started by DixonL2, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #1 DixonL2, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    (See below for an "MA-Scoop" offer!)

Yep - we're doing it AGAIN! <cue monster garage announcer voice>
    [:arf:] FRIDAY! FRIDAY! FRIDAY! AT FONTANA RACEWAY PARK! That crazy gang from PittStop, along with Bubba's Homebaked Nut Rolls, will be going at it ON THE TRACK at Fontana! We're bringing back THREE-WIDE RACING to FONTANA GRAVITY SPEEDWAY! (heck, we're actually bringing the Gravity Speedway TO Fontana!) [/:arf:]

MINIs On The Dragon - Draggin Dragons

Most kits have been sent, the rest will be sent ASAP. We DO have a registration limit of 50 for this event - there are 5 slots left! There is a Dragon Beauty Contest (prettiest car, as voted by the audience), and the Ultimate Speed Runoffs (as voted by, well, the electronic timing apparatus).

RULES WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED (see website above).

(I apologize for posting this on MA so late, please find it in your hearts to forgive me, as MA is hearing about the MODIFIED class first!)
    ---------------------

We ALSO have a "demonstration" event, a MODIFIED class! This is being announced on MA FIRST, and on that other website tomorrow afternoon. Of the 50 racers, ten (and ONLY ten) slots will be reserved for anyone wanting to participate in the demostration "MODIFIED" class. The rules are far more lax than shown on the website, notable changes are below. This class is open ONLY to the first 10 people to PM or email me as registering for "MODIFIED" status (yes, you can change status from your current status to "modified"). This will be measured by the time of the PM or the email "send" time. The entrants will reeceive a confirmation message from me, and I'l post when the MODIFIED class is full.

The rules for the MODIFIED class are below. While creative rule interpretation in THIS class is appreciated and encouraged, as in all rules for this Event, the ruling of the Judges will be final. Colin's ruling, however, may be influenced by a nice set of coilovers, mine by a new Alta exhaust. No guarantees on that, however... We will be placing the safety of the crowd, competitors and their vehicles as paramount.

There will only be ONE racing winner in this class as it's a "demonstration" class.
    All 50 cars are eligible for the "Beauty Contest".

I will answer interpretation-type questions privately via email or PM, and not sharing such your ideas or questions with other competitors unless a public clarification is absolutely necessary for safety reasons. I am also not competing in the races.

RULES (MODIFIED CLASS)

1. NO INCENDIARY DEVICES! No firecrackers, no combustible or flammable devices of any kind.

2. No devices that would endanger the safety or well-being of the crowd, fellow competitors, competing racecars, the track, or attract local law enforcement.

3. No devices that would in any way impede the progress of fellow competitors. And nothing that would create a mess.

4. Weight is a maximum 10 ounces to avoid damage to the track or stopping devices.

5. No nuclear reactors or fissionable material, no operational Flux Capacitors, no antigravity spray, no ignitors, no flame, fire, heat above 120 degrees, or anything that can harm the launching or safety personnel. No hazardous materials, no hallucinogenics, no drunk driving, no driving while medicated, and no water cannons. Don't even think of it.

6. All parts of the vehicle must cross the finish line.

7. Any number of wheels can touch the track. (at least one, pelase, we will be enforcing a "no fly zone" for the purposes of this event!). Axles and wheels are "free" (no limits) but must keep the car in control and not harm the track.

8. Length 7" max, width 2 3/4" max, height 3" max (a little over is OK, but if you don't clear the finish line gate don't come crying to me), no less than 3/8" bottom clearance (see note at bottom of page on bottom clearance). Max weight 10 ounces.

9. The "gravity alone" rule is lifted for purposes of this event.

10. The racer must have a "Mini Cooper - related" look and feel. This will perhaps be more loosely interpreted than the "standard" (now called "SPORT") class, see above for influencing factors.

Any other rules apply, as noted in the rules posted on the MOTD registration site.

ALL PLEASE NOTE: The stopping device on this track, for all classes, is a rubber pad that drags on the bottom of the car. Any weights or protrusions on the bottom of the car may cause the car to flip at the end of the track and become damaged. It's in your best interest to keep the bottom of the car smooth and free of anything sticky or sticky-outey.

See you at MOTD!
    LD

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    PM sent with calcification questions.

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Questions calcified! And, well, umm, "answered" too!

A clarification (possibly unrelated to the PM's I've received):

8. No live animals of any kind will be allowed on or in the cars.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, me not paying attention to the spell check for clarification.

Or maybe I'm planning on inventing that calcium powered low temp rocket motor....

5. Drillslinger

Drillslinger New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    #5 Drillslinger, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    What's the height of the "starting line"?

Can we run more than one car? (Extra kits where? I think I saw $5 somewhere but can't find it.)

This is my first time so bear with me, lol.

6. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #6 DixonL2, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    You can buy kits themselves at $5 each, but if you want to run them in the event and qualify for prizes, etc each entry must pay the $12 registration. We're limited to 50 entrants and I believe there are 3-4 slots left. www.motd.com to register.

The height at the start is whatever the dimension is from the track to the ceiling, and I'll check with Colin on the height of the finish line. Unfortunately, cars must pass tech both after and before the race, which includes the dimensional check each time. Let me confer with the Organizers to perhaps better answer your question...

7. Drillslinger

Drillslinger New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No worries, I was just wondering if it was like a 5 or 7 foot drop.
    As for the 2nd car, I was just wondering since I can't decide if I want to make mine look like my MINI or try to make it look like the Coopster :lol:

8. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    It's about a 5' drop, whatever the official drop height is for a Cub Scout Official 3-lane pinewood derby track, since that's what it is. Colinmini is getting more specifics on the start and finish lines.

Remember, NO INCENDIARY DEVICES, people!

And I don't care HOW small your pet hamster is, NO PASSENGERS! Besides, these are Minis, not Kia Souls!

9. carman63

carman63 Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Purcellville, VA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  10. Drillslinger

Drillslinger New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Got my kit today, can't wait to get started, thanks! :Thumbsup:

11. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    carman, who says that's "not legal" in the Modified class, as long as it meets:
    We have 4 signed up for MODIFIED so far, and maybe 3 slots left overall

12. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Lets see some pics of these projects:Thumbsup:

13. Drillslinger

Drillslinger New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Just had an idea for the Modified Class so I'd like a slot if one's still open :idea:

(PM-ing Dixon now...)

14. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Clarification on "Modified Class" rulings:

- For Modified Class, the cars can be placed on the track by their owner/creators.
    - For "regular" class, it's suggested (for purposes of keeping the event moving along) that our Extremely Careful abnd Courteous Track Stewards place the cars carefully and well-alignedly on the track.

And, answering another popular question, NO, YOU CANNOT SHOOT THE CAR OFF USING A REMOTELY-DETONATED FIREARM. Blasting caps are likewise frowned upon. :-D

15. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  16. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I'm building the trophies.... :smilewinkgrin:

17. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I will show mine, when you show yours...

18. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ALL PLEASE NOTE:

EXCLUSIVE RUN FOR DD REGISTRANTS: There will be a Dragon Draggin' and PittSTOP Friends Drive immediately following the track disassembly and Room Cleanup. While I can't reveal the destination (it's quite literally a secret, and not public), I CAN tell you they've got the best hamburgers within 10 hours of Fontana. They will RUIN you for having a hamburger for 2-3 months after the Dragon. We're calling this "The PittsBURGER Run", and if you're registered for DD then you're invited... but we need a bit of a headcount in advance! (we will be back in plenty of time for BrewSwap).

Also - post up some in-progress pictures! I'll post up some past efforts shortly...

NEW SPONSOR: G4 AutoSports will be present and will donate a few prizes... thanks guys! I've had their stuff on my Mini and it's VERY functional, and It Just Friggin Works.

19. Drillslinger

Drillslinger New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If I can still make it (long story, don't ask) then I'm in for the Burger run :Thumbsup:
    (Of course, I'll either be the odd one out driving a rental car or will need a ride, lol)

20. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Hope you can make it! Shall I bring some white tape to make bonnet stripes?