Drive Skippers

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 11 (May 1 - 5, 2013) - TN / NC' started by kgdblu, May 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    #1 kgdblu, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    I lead a drive on Friday on the Cherohala, with lunch at the Lodge in Tellico Plains. I had 8 no shows, none of whom bothered to contact me as to why.
    The owner of the lodge was pissed and said that he'd not be offering any more meals.
    Here's the scoop: if you sign up for a drive, attend. If you can't, contact the leader asap...that's why we have radios. If you don't know who your drive leader is, find out. I had several people ask to join my drive and I had to turn them down because I thought it was full. If you have a valid excuse (dead battery, hangover, whatever), that's understandable. But to not bother even letting me know really pissed me off.
    In future, don't sign up for everything and then pick and choose what you want to do. Commitments to restaurants are made with an expected amount of money to be had. They prepare accordingly. When those expectations are not met, we look bad. I had to schmooze( and repeatedly apologize) to the lodge owner into possibly accepting us for lunch next year, but only if the lunch was prepaid. It totally ruined my day.
    It is the height of rudeness to skip out on a drive you've signed up for, without an explanation. It delays the start as the leader is hoping you're just late. It excludes availability to others who want to attend. Just don't do it. Drive leaders are volunteers. They are giving up a day of their vacation to lead these drives.
    Next year, if I can convince Walt (pissed off owner) to serve us lunch, my drive will be prepaid and non-refundable, period. We're all adults so let's show some responsibility.

2. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm fine with pre-paying lunch but one caveat. I missed my dinner drive on Thursday because a) it wasn't made clear that the endpoint of my lunch drive wouldn't be back at Fontana, but at the restaurant - 90 minutes away from Fontana, and b) haulin' a$$ back my group got stuck behind some MINIs that refused to pull over and let us pass. I arrived at the General Store 7 minutes after the scheduled meeting time for my dinner run. SBNimble and Edge were drafting me and can confirm all of this.

My point is simply that not everyone misses a run out of negligence.

3. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Understandable.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I understand what you are saying & agree with you 100%. As for those no shows, do you know who they are? If so you might want to contact them directly & let them know your feelings.

As far as MINIs not pulling over for other MINIs running a bit faster, well I just don't understand their attitude. Lots of places to easily pull over & let others by. No excuse for that.

5. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    No, I don't know who they are because I didn't take a roll call. Should have, tho'.

6. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    We were equally confused and flabbergasted as it was one of our own in attendance at MOTD. We couldn't get around them until the road opened up to two lanes, and then they looked at me like I had two heads when I zoomed by.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Ah, this is more like it. I have been totally amazed at how little complaining there has been after MOTD 2013, compared to other years, that it seemed odd. Now it's starting. :lol: :lol:

Jim

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I had to cancel out on 2 of my events. I hit the cancel button and my name was deleted from the sign up sheet in each. It never ceases to amaze me why a simple button is too much for some people to hit. By staying listed and attending but not bothering to show up kills the chances of some guy/gal attending who WOULD have been there, but was unable, due to the drive being filled.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My complaint is that you were not there Justa Jim.

That is all.

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Nathan and I have been complaining abut that too. Looks like my wife's contract will be renewed soon for a five year run, so next year is back on. Now to see if I can get a room at Fontana again. :Thumbsup:

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hey Jim, next year you are obliged to have twice the fun. :D

12. FranticFreddy

FranticFreddy Drive-N-Eat
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Some Where between here and there.
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    My biggest concern was and is that we as drive leaders have made a commitment to an establishment for goods or services, food, attendance at a performance, attendance for an activity. As kgdblu stated there was one very ***** provider that was not very happy.

I have dealt with Walt for a few years now and due to the economic conditions of the passed few years his restaurant is not open to the general public during the week at the time of year we are there. He only opens for groups such as ours. So you can understand if the promised number of people don't show up he would be upset.

We all may have to look at the "PrePaid" idea for this type of drive in the future.

13. motodad307

motodad307 New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Paris, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My complaint is we didn't go for doughnuts every day!

14. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Your WIFE'S contract??? WTF? Heck, we all thought you were not coming because of YOUR contract...ya weenie.

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    No matter which one it was Jeff, it's still half the yearly income. :)

Jim

16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Sell a horse, save on hay, too! :devil:

17. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Tis a thought, but that isn't going to happen. She is already planing on the next foal. :lol::lol:

Jim

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Coises, foaled again! :devil:

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Now that was funny Jeff. :lol::lol::lol:

Jim

20. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Considering the early start time for the Donut Run I assumed that we would be at 80% and made arrangements accordingly.