Driver side rear view mirror

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Bobby D., Sep 14, 2015.

1. Bobby D.

Bobby D. New Member

May 27, 2015
    Retired Electrical Engineer
    Indiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love my new F55 Cooper, but I find lane changing to the left a little hairy. If I adjust the driver side mirror to see into the "blind spot", all I can see is the "blind spot". I want to see the "blind spot" AND the left lane traffic behind the car. To me, the driver side mirror does not have a wide enough view. Has anyone tried one of the aftermarket "fish eye" stick-on mirrors? Does anyone else feel the driver side rear view mirror does not see enough (in spite of it's huge size)?

Bobby D.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I have 3 MINIs...2 R53s and an R50. All 3 have blind spot problems and all 3 now have those blind spot mirrors. The blind spot problem has now been resolved. You can buy adjustable ones at Big Lots for around $1.00 for a pack of 2.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  4. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    If you adjust your mirrors properly you can enjoy wide viewing just as I do with my stock mirrors. As I see a car come up behind me it doesn't matter if he passes me on the right or on the left, I will see him in my side view mirror 'before' he leaves my rear view mirror and I will see him in my peripheral vision with perhaps a small head turn 'before' he leaves my side view mirror. Not adjusting mirrors properly is the most common mistake made by drivers.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Drive faster then everyone els, then you don't need your mirrors.:devil:

[ame="http://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0"]What's Behind Me, It's Not Important - YouTube[/ame]

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    While I know how to adjust mirrors properly, and do so, I've also become addicted to the ridiculously superior view you have when you replace the left mirror with a european wide-angle mirror, and have done so on all my cars. Once you've tried it... you'll understand. You can see behind you, beside of you, and two lanes over. It's the way it should be, IMO.

I hate the stick-on fish-eye mirrors. Just a personal preference thing. I prefer having the full mirror provide a single, wide-angle view.

7. Bobby D.

Bobby D. New Member

May 27, 2015
    Indiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm intrigued, where can I get a European wide-angle mirror for my MINI? Do European MINIs come with wide-angle mirrors?

Bobby D.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    In the US, might be hard right now. OutMotoring would be a good source.

The parts you want are:

Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, left 51-16-7-366-045
    Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, right 51-16-7-366-045

Unheated

Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, left 51-16-7-366-039
    Mirror glass heated convex right 51-16-7-366-039

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I've always liked those fish eye mirrors. Sticking one on was a simple answer to moar better rearward vision.

[​IMG]

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It's basically one of our passenger "closer than they appear" mirrors made for the driver side.

11. Bobby D.

Bobby D. New Member

May 27, 2015
    Indiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree that once you lose sight of an on coming car in the center rear view mirror, it will pop into view on a properly adjusted side mirror. BUT, I find the discontinuity of looking away from one mirror to the other to be very disconcerting (especially in heavy traffic). Also the head-turn doesn't work too well on a four door Cooper, because of the door pillar. IMHO, the driver side mirror needs to be wide angle like the passenger side, but our government regulations do not allow this. Our European Brother-en enjoy a wide side-view with no blind spots!

Bobby D.

12. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You can also often find them on eBay from the UK

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    This doesn't make sense........you still have to use both mirrors to see the cars.

I understand the desire for the wide angle, I agree that it would be nice to have the option to have them on our cars, but simply adjusting the side view will give you the same view....just without being able to see the side of you car.

14. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Unless you've driven a lot of miles with wide angle mirrors on both sides, you may not appreciate the improvement. But it is VASTLY better. It's not just a matter of "you can adjust your mirror to see the same thing, just not the side of your car. I can see a whole extra lane to the left with mine... which is handy on multi-lane highways with people moving from those far left lanes, into what would otherwise be your blindspot...

Trust me. Or not. But any other view is ill-informed. :devil:

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I agree......as I tried to say above, but until then the properly adjusted mirror is good.

And I used a 5 panel wink in my VW for years......so more is better....lol