1st Gen R53 Cooper S Driver's door locks, won't unlock with key fob

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mini Q, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    couple of days ago, the drivers door does not unlock with key remote or the button in the car. I can
    hear the same activity in the door when I am inside and try to unlock it.

I thought maybe a sticky solenoid, so I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes,
    still the same result when I reconnected.

Seems strange that locking works every time and but not the unlocking.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    It's the mechanism. Mine does the same thing, key fob doesn't work on the drivers door, I have to use the key in the lock to lock and unlock it. Everything else works with the fob. Common issue. One day I will replace the mechanism.

3. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    thanks for sharing. In your case, have you been told it's the door lock actuator?

4. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
  5. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I had a sporadic passenger door lock that turned out to b the mechanism. I understand that the passenger side is a tad easier to change than the drivers side. I'm sure that soon I'll find out how much easier since my car seems to want attention on a regular basis lately. 8 months of trouble free motoring (after the passenger door window motor the first day) and then a steering rack, a steering pump and hoses, the passenger door lock mechanism, the drivers door window motor and probably other things I'm overlooking.

Sometimes this car is tough to love. :mad2:

Then when everything is working well I get Alzheimer's~~:D:fingerscrossed: