Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Driveshaft Shop axle, cracked?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jasonsmf, May 19, 2012.

1. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have experience with the Driveshaft Shop Level "0" axles? I'm in the middle of installing a new passenger side axle, and happened to notice what looks like a crack on the CV near the support bearing. It's deep enough to stick my fingernail in. I really don't have a good feeling about this, can't really think of a worse place for a fracture to start. Emails already sent to DSS and ultrarev (where I ordered the part), and I plan on making some phone calls on Monday; just curious if anyone has seen anything similar.

[​IMG]

Jason

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Not good as you know. Looks like a stress riser & a failure point in the future. That can not be right.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yup I had the same thing on mine from the driveshaft shop. (Level 0) They are fine it is just a casting mark. I flipped out when I saw it on mine and I thought they were cracked. I called them and sent the hi res photos and they assured me everything is ok as they checked the other ones they have.

FYI if you grind them lightly you will see the raised lip that looks like a crack disappear.

All is ok with your axles put them in and enjoy the fun. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip with mine without any issues. (PA to the Dragon and back)
    I did push them real hard on the Dragon and I am lowered. If they were going do break they would have done it then. My buddy has the same set in his car and he did the trip with me.

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    It is still a stress riser & not a good thing to have on an axle. If light grinding will remove it I would do that.

5. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input, guys! I actually did get an email reply from the DSS late last night and was able to send him the picture. He confirmed what Dave.0 said, this is a casting mark. In his words "This is where the casting goes together", when I look at the part closely I can see a slight difference in the material on either side of the mark, likely where the CV joint casting meets the actual axle shaft. As much as I agree with trying to grind away this stress riser, I'm afraid to modify my brand new part. In the event that I do have an failure I might have a hard time getting any help from DSS if I have modified the part (even if we all know it's for the better).

Jason

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure if you do grind that you will void any warranty. Since they make them that way I'd think it is OK. They would change things if they were having failures.

Now go bolt that axle in! :smilewinkgrin:

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah you are good to go. I did grind mine a little with a coarse wire brush on an air tool with the guy from the driveshaft shop on the line. They are a stand up company and said they will warranty the part if I have any problems at all. I sent them pictures of before and after my wire brush work. All was ok.

FYI The driveshaft shop shop also made the axles for my friend Jason's 600+ HP drag Mustang. He is an ASE certified machanic and ownes his own repair shop. The Mustang is his weekend toy. Anyhow he also broke a basic set at the track testing after about 10 full out runs. (Wheel stands) He called them and told them what happened and what he was doing and they said no problem, we will send you a new very beefy set at no charge, (under warranty) and I quote "Jason, lets see if you can brake this set." Well he has had them for 3 years now without any issues and yes the car still runs and is at the strip every chance he can get.

8. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again, I got the car back together yesterday. While it was off the ground I went ahead and changed my alignment from my "road trip" setup (Ohio to Road Atlanta to MOTD and back), to a bit more aggressive autox alignment, firmed up the rear Koni's, bled the brakes, changed the trans fluid, and cleaned up CV grease from EVERYWHERE around where the inner CV had been spewing grease for the past few months. One thing I noticed when cleaning the grease off of the coolant hoses to the oil cooler, it appears as though the CV grease degraded the hoses to the point where they are very soft and have a bulged section ready to burst. Glad I took the time to clean up under there, had I not noticed it could've been a bit of a mess! Nothing a phone call to the friendly parts guy at Classic couldn't fix!

Jason

Jason

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Not sure what you would upgrade to, but this seems like a good time to find something a bit more durable.

10. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I really can't complain, 133,000+ miles isn't all that bad of a service life for a hose in my opinion. My guess is that the new hoses will easily hold me over till the engine is due for a rebuild.:biggrin5:

Jason

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    As long as you keep the CV grease off I bet they will outlast the engine, or go another 133K whichever comes first.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice catch, that could have been ugly.