Driving a Mini gets the same attention as driving a super car...

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by barefootnozza, Aug 6, 2013.

1. barefootnozza

barefootnozza New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hi, my girlfriend and I have just gone halves on what we think is a stunning Mini, we love her to bits and she is so much fun to drive.

I know nothing about engines so I've made it my mission to try to learn how to fix them, and so far so good, but, what we did not expect was the reaction of people as we drive her around. The turning of heads, when we pull over people are talking to us about their Minis that they used to own and even offering helpful advice to us both which has been overwhelming...we broke down (I managed to fix the fuel float problem once I knew what it was from another helpful chap) and a guy approached us to help, that never happened in our previous cars.

Today an angry looking chap looked at our car whilst we were sat at traffic lights and openly smiled for ages at us, so I gave him a huge thumbs up and smiled back, and he reciprocated...wtf?

In about two weeks of owning our lady we have had two serious offers to buy the car from us for much more than we paid for her, loads of compliments and more head turns than any Porsche owner would have had...we didn't know this would happen at all but now I feel compelled to share my experiences and ask...how much has a Mini changed your life?

I honestly do not think I could own another car now :)

Attached Files:

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    ....and welcome to Motoring Alliance. Nice car you have there. :Thumbsup:

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

4. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA, that's a great looking Mini!!

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

What a great looking car

7. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Welcome & feel right at home!

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A....

9. HurricaneDave

HurricaneDave New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Tellecommunications Engineer
    Ball Ground, GA
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!!! When I got my first MINI I could not believe the attention I got just like you 2 have. Mini/MINI owners are a great community and young or old, MINI or Mini (or other variations) are a very passionate and devoted owners.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA
    It’s the car? I thought it was my rugged good looks. That’s a good-looking classic you two have. I have a R53 when I bought it, in 04, it got a lot of the same type of attention. There were very few in my town and almost no classics.
    To answer your question, for my younger sons and I its been 11 years of bonding. I have come to the realization that I will keep the car till I hand it to him. For the second time but that’s another story.

11. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! That's a great looking mini. :Thumbsup:

12. barefootnozza

barefootnozza New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you everyone, we love her already :)

13. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic Mini! Congrats! :Thumbsup:

14. barefootnozza

barefootnozza New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hi, just a quick update before I can tell you all the full story, but, we realised that the Mini that we had was beautiful but needed some work done on the safety side of it. We luckily were put it touch with a lovely and honest Mini enthusiast that did a full diagnostic on our baby, and we were given a list of things we could do to improve the safety of our car. We took the top few jobs to do onboard and the mechanic did them at what we think is a very reasonable price. The Mini now drives beautifully and sounds like a very safe and non dangerous bag of nails. Things we had done were...replaced all shock absorbers, new brake pads, new brake discs, one new calliper, slow puncture fixed, exhausted raised and re-mounted, front rod bush kits replaced times two, one front track rod end, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes and changed brake fluid, wheel bearings tightened and diagnosed hazard lights and petrol gauge issues. With one hour of analysis and a complete total price (including parts and labour) of £280 we felt that was a small price to pay for our safety and knowing all about our cars ins and outs. One extra thing that we really appreciated was being shown all the work that was done and the invitation for myself (Craig) to come back when I wasn't working to once again have the car on the ramp and be shown the complete workings, work and everything else about my car with my hope of learning about my Mini, at no extra cost....I feel that we have found an honest and reliable mechanic at a garage that we can trust who had been recommended for his passion for Classic Minis :)

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #15 Firebro17, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Very nice! It's great to see another preserved classic is being enjoyed to its fullest! Your Mini is much like my first one. Here's a shot taken the day I bought it in June 2012. Cheers... :beer

Attached Files:

16. barefootnozza

barefootnozza New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Firebro17, your Mini is stunning...do you still have it? Do you have a prefered website to buy your parts from? :)