2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Dual Mass Flywheel - Replace with Single Mass?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by chadrspain, Aug 7, 2012.

1. chadrspain

chadrspain New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I have a bit of an emergency! Blew the rear main in my Cooper S on a 1000 mile road trip, oil soaked the clutch and flywheel which overheated and has stress/heat cracks. I really don't like the idea of the DMF, and would prefer to replace it ($1200 OEM) with something aftermarket (perhaps Fidanza? - found for $300 to 500).

Any thoughts on this in terms of reliability, performance, durability and all that? I can't and don't want to afford to have to replace these parts again, at least not for a long time. The way I see it, a SMF is lighter and cheaper and less likely to need to be replaced from a DMF. Any issues with idling? I know the rotational mass is important to keep the engine running at idle. Idle was cake to change on my old early 90's honda, but not sure how to deal with it on an R56.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Please share the link to an aftermarket single mass flywheel, with compatible pressure plate, clutch disc, and release bearing for an R56.

3. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Heck, isn't OS Giken and Spec the only available option at this point for single mass?

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I'm only aware of OS Giken and Clutch Masters kits with single mass flywheel. If you have a link for an R56 Spec clutch (not for the dual mass) and compatible single mass flywheel, please share. I've read Fidanza was developing a flywheel, and a claim made here that Valeo has a kit, but so far no hard evidence. If options are available I would appreciate the information.

5. chadrspain

chadrspain New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OS Giken doesn't have anything in North America - and Clutch Masters is awaiting ring gear manufacturing to complete on the flywheel.

Oh well, gotta go OE ...

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I'd say get an OS Giken, or go back stock. Every clutchmaster kit i've seen has failed very quickly.

7. slumpp

slumpp New Member

May 23, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Valeo is an option Way motors and Detroit tuned both carry a Valeo kit.
    For $450-465. Kit is a single mass flywheel, clutch disc with springs, pressure plate and
    Bearing.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hi Steve! Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

Get that clutch installed?

9. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    We like this clutch a lot. or OS, but it all depends on how much you want to spend. The Valeo for 461 for the whole kit is a great price.