Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Duplicating the cold-start chatter

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Rixter, May 22, 2011.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    This question seems to come up over and over again so maybe its worth posting (and stickying) as its own thread. If anybody has any other ideas please add to this thread.

This method may not work for everybody but for me it worked 100% of the time when I needed to duplicate the cold-start, death rattle, chatter, noise...

1. Parked car overnight to ensure it was cold
    2. Started the car and moved it out 10 feet (from garage to driveway)
    3. Left car in driveway for 45 minutes (simulating length of time to wash Spike). No wash actually occured and Spike was not injured during the exercise
    4. Started up the car and drove it 10 feet (back into garage)
    5. Started Spike the next day and he was rattling for the first mile from my place

This proved out my theory that water is not a contributing factor. I don't know if you actually need to leave the car over night, but you do need to leave it for several hours to ensure it's totally cool. The problem relates to the car not getting up to full operating temperature before being shut down. Give this a whirl and see what happens.

Also cold weather seems to make this easier to duplicate but not always.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Anecdotal evidence also points to parking on an angle with the front of the car lower than the back as a method of getting the dreaded cold start rattle to rear it's noisy head.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And changing the tensioner cures it completely for almost anyone who's done it......so why not just fix the problem?

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Dave, not disagreeing at all. Just want to get some discussion going as to possible ways of duplicating the problem, not necessarily the cure. Many owners have commented over and over again that they take their MINI to the dealer and they have no way of reproducing the problem and then the dealership won't do anything for them.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Tell the dealer it makes the noise, there is a service bulletin out on it. If they won't fix it, take it up with MINI. It's quick easy money for the service dept. Fools for not doing it:eek:ut:

Mark

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm with Lotsie on this, I can't believe any dealer would still be hassling people over this noise, since it's so well documented.

FWIW, when my car made the noise, it did it under the exact same conditions posted by Rixter. I moved it out of the garage, then later that day drove it and it made it from start up, although when I revved it up it immediately went away. So, even tho they didn't hear it, my dealer changed as soon as I asked for it......

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I solved that problem by just filming every start for a month with my iPhone, warm or cold. Then I imported all the clips on to my computer, and compiled them into a DVD with titles before each clip, that noted wether it was warm or cold, and the date.

When filming each start, I let the camera linger on the date and time display in the car, then after starting the car, moved the camera to the milage display. Each clip was about 20 seconds long.

I am sure it was the most boring footage ever, but it got the job done. I gave the dealer the DVD with all the starts, and they repaired my MINI and got it back to me within 24 hours.

Now, I'm sure any cheap or bundled movie editor can do something like what I did, and any modern smartphone can take the footage. If you don't have a smartphone or a video camera, you probably have a digital camera that can take movies. Or borrow one - someone you know has something you can use.

Even if you can't make a DVD, you can upload to YouTube, make it a private video and give the dealer the URL - just add some footage to prove it's you and your car.

It's the 21st Century and we have the tools to document anything. Better to use them to get your beloved MINI fixed than to upload yet another cat video! ;)

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    How long ago was that?

My question is if dealers are still wanting documentation at this point before they do the work?

Seems to me given how much publicity has gone on about this that they'd be glad to simply replace the tensioner to cure the problem....I'm sure there are some dealers (like mine - Baron in KC) who are more customer oriented than others, but by now I'd think they'd all understand how important this is.

Are people still encountering resistance at the dealer when/if they go in for this problem?

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I did this in March, but I doubt that my MINI dealer would have given me issues if I hadn't. I decided to go to that extreme largely due to reports online that some dealers were resisting doing the repair, and because my issue was intermittent.

I repair computers for a living and the worst thing a customer can tell me is that an issue is intermittent. Knowing that intermittent issues can be headaches, I did what I wish my customers would do, and documented everything.

Perhaps it was unnecessary, but it really wasn't that difficult to do. :)

I offer the advice as useful for any intermittent issue, or situational specific problem. "It only happens if I turn right at exactly 34 mph on cloudy days" would be a good one to have your passenger film for you, for example. :)

These days I think that there's no good reason not to record any kind of weird intermittent thing that you need repaired so that your technician / mechanic / plumber / etc can see exactly what you're seeing. :)

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are dealers out there that are not as customer centric and require first hand proof of any issue before they will initiate a repair under warranty. Often times these dealers were once quite free wheeling with repairs on MINIs dime but subsequently been reigned in. They now go the complete opposite way and want you to rub your tummy, pat your head and hop on one leg before they will do anything.

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    See, that's what I was wondering.....if they were giving people a hard time on this.

I agree with Zapski, documenting problems in a way the tech can understand is a gold mine for getting weird, intermittant or unusual problems fixed.

I run a mfg plant and when our night shift has problems, it means an hour's drive for me at all hours of the night, because the supervisors, operators and general employees do not speak "tech", or even English! All they can tell me is "it no work".....sometimes it's as easy as flipping a switch or changing a fuse to fix something, but they're simply of no help. I used to have remote access to our security cameras and sometimes I could diagnose and even direct repairs remotely, but our company shut that off due to "security concerns", whatever that means....

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to slaughter a chicken too :crazy:

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Chickens only work on audio issues. For this you need to bleed a pig.

Mark

14. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anyone have a video or sound clip of this they can post?

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I would do a search on Youtube. There should be several posts.

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Here are a few...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6cbW_DRY4]mini cold start chatter - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x04c96UlGgU]R56 MCS Mini Cooper S Cold Start Engine Noise - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhtSoEe6Ww]R56 Mini Cooper S Engine Noise When Cold - Morning Start - YouTube[/ame]

17. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nate for helping out. I was going to post something later once I got to a PC, but you beat me to it ;)

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Sounds just like a diesel.....
    Mine didn't sound like this at all, as a mater of fact it sounded "normal". I asked the dealer to look into it, which they did and replaced it without any argument what so ever. I think they pretty much know about the problem and take care of it if you bring it up. Of course mine was still under warranty.

But even if your warranty has expired, it was a quick change out so it can't cost much. mine was done within 45 minutes and that included a oil change with new filter and also a cabin filter change as well.

I'll bet the mechanic had the tensioner changed out in 15 - 20 minutes max. and I think the part cost was something like $45.00 or so. Get it dealt with now if you have the old tensioner, because when they fail they can really cost you some big $$$$$.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Yep sounds like the diesel I drive 5 days a week.

That is an ugly noise emanating from that engine for sure. I'd carp my pants if my engine sounded like that. We are lucky here in central Ohio our local dealer is a good one & takes care of warranty work with no fuss.

Has that sound been banished from the R56 with the release of the 2011 models? I'd like to buy a new MCS, but do not want to be faced with a bucket of bolts engine after the warranty has expired. If I changed cars every couple of years it would not be a problem, but I tend to keep cars a long time & pile the miles on.

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Chuck, why are you putting these things in your pants????

[​IMG]