1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Electric mirror failure

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mini Q, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hello, this is my first post to this forum.

on my 05' MCSC, the right side mirror lost the up/down adjustment several months ago. Recently, the side-to-side operation stopped working as well.

Anybody have same problem? Is it the motor or the switch in your experience?

Thanks

Tim

2. Shifter

Shifter Member
    Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Southeast Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    With me, I lost movement in both planes at the same time. Dealer diagnosed it as a connector that came away from the switch. I was still under warranty at the time, so it was n/c. I suppose it's possible to lose control in one plane and not the other with a loose connection, so popping the oval shaped panel off to check is probably worth a try.

The seat heater control buttons and the mirror control knob just pull straight up. The oval cover then needs to be gently pried up with a very thin lever. Once off, you have access to the switch assembly, which is held in place with about 4 or six clips that are positioned vertically around the assembly. Keep a pencil type magnet handy in case one drops into the space below the assembly.

Good Luck

3. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Electric Mirror

Thank you for sharing the experience. Perfect timing for a Saturday project.

4. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It works!

Well, I popped out the switch cluster, pressed the mirror connectors a little, and the right mirror came to life.

Thanks again.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Don't cha love it when it's something easy?

I would have been tearing the mirror apart looking for a bad connection there....

6. Shifter

Shifter Member
    Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Southeast Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome, and I'm happy your mirrors are back in action.
    Motor On!
    :Thumbsup: