1st Gen R50 Cooper Electrical gremlin!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    #1 SNEEEZY - Erika, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    UPDATE: Electrical gremlin! (See last post)

I've had to replace the fuse for the OEM horn twice in the past week.

Although I have a "horn project" in the planning stages, I haven't installed or removed anything from Schultze and I won't install the new horns until this electrical gremlin issue is resolved.

Here's the pattern:

OEM horns work as normal, then they gradually get quieter & eventually sound like a wet, wheezing, cat in stereo and then in mono and then suddenly no sound whatsoever.

I need to replace the fuse AGAIN because I needed to use my horn and it didn't work.

Guidance & comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    unplug one at a time replace fuse and blow the horn till you find which one is shorted out.

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Damn...it's the obvious things that kick my butt every time.

Thanks for the tip...I'll report back with update.

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Unplugged driver side; replaced fuse; honked horn = no sound.

Plugged in driver side; unplugged passenger side; honked horn = no sound.

When I honk the horn, I can hear a heavy "click" in the steering wheel, but nothing else.

???

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Have you considered getting a horn attached to a can of compressed air and just sticking it out the window when you need it. :lol:

Sorry, I just had to say it.

Jim

6. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should mention the canned air horn...

I found mine in the closet and tested it in the masterbath while the hubby was taking a shower. He thought it was funny; my bulldog, Dozer, not quite so much. He tried jumping up to attack the air horn while I was still holding it.

An hour or so later I was walking in from the utility room and I was carrying the florescent orange funnels that I use for engine fluids...Dozer jumped up thinking I was holding the air horn again.

Dogs are colorblind, but I guess the shape of the funnel reminded him of the air horn.

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    They say that and horses too, but I simply do not believe it. The feeling in the scientific community is that their eyes are not like ours, therefore they can not see color. I spend a lot of time around both and I simply don't buy it. :nonod:

Jim

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Man Jim I can't believe you are kidding around about this, it is serious man!

Back on topic....

Erika do you have a warning light that looks like this?

[​IMG]

9. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    The only light that has been coming on recently is the passenger airbag/seatbelt light on the dash and the passenger airbag light on the ceiling near the sunroof switch.

I had posted about the airbag/seatbelt light last week or so, but I can't find it now.

The airbag/seatbelt light doesn't ALWAYS come on...sometimes it will come on if my 100# daughter is in the front seat; other times it will come on even if my 140# daughter is in the front seat.

If I stop, turn off the engine, wait 15 seconds or so and then restart the car, the light "sometimes" goes away. Other times it will come in after 15-30 seconds.

erg.

10. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to take a pic of the warning light that comes on...but now that I want a pic, it probably won't come on for awhile!

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The airbag seatbelt light has nothing to do with the horns not working. Since you have been in there poking around retrace your steps. You may find the issue.

12. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Chuck,

The only thing I've done is unscrew the bolt which holds each OEM horn via the bracket and unplugged the OEM quick disconnects.

Nothing has been spliced, nicked, cut, etc. I checked the OEM horn wiring when I was under the bonnet earlier disconnecting each horn separately to see which was shorted, per Norm3s' suggestion.

The horn fuse issue has been going on for quite awhile; it's just happening more frequently now.

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just took a look at your garage Erika, nice looking MINI. :Thumbsup:

Wiring issues are a real mystery sometimes and the source of the problem might not be where you would normally think it should be. Have you tried to track the horn wiring all the way back to the MFSW? It is possible that the problem could be there.

Jim

14. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Jim!

Some of the white bits (wheels) are now high-gloss powdercoat black; other white bits will be changing over to black and TBD. Chrome is now high-gloss black with the exception of the MINI wings on bonnet/boot. :Thumbsup:

The MSFW & all the innards were replaced after my 03/15/08 sneezing crash. Since I've been having issues with the horn, I guess I will need to have the collision center take another look at things to make sure they didn't nick some wiring or something when the repairs were being made.

Luckily for me, I chose a Nationwide Blue Ribbon shop, so any issues associated with any repairs will be covered at no cost to me for as long as I own Schultze.

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That is good Ericka. Maybe they were unknowingly the cause.

Those changes sound cool. You need to update your garage. :Thumbsup:

Jim

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I'm with you Chuck (Crashton) the horns and the airbag light can't possibly be connected.... Orrrrr can they can be....

According to one of my latest library books I got today....:Thumbsup:

The steering column switch cluster (SZL) contains the following (it's the plastic structure right behind the steering wheel, with the turn signal stalk and light switch stalk).

That's all one big integrated component of the following....
    1 Exterior Light Switch
    2 Steering Angle Sensor (if equipped)
    3 Wiper Washer Switch
    4 On-board computer setting switch.

And wait for it.....

5 Horn and Driver Airbag Spring Contact (Volute Spring).

Bad News......
    The components are not available separately. In case of switch failure, replace SZL as a unit.

More Bad News....
    RealOEM..... $599.19 :eek6:

[​IMG]

Good news.....?
    Someone has "Blue Ribbon" Insurance.

Ericka.... Sounds like a bad #5....... But I think that's your issue with the horns and airbag light coming on....:D

17. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, MM!

As a matter of fact, the shop had to replace that particular part TWICE during the initial repair. The first replacement was somehow defective, so it was replaced a second time.

My p-side fog light will go "out" while the d-side is still lit, so I'll turn 'em off (they're programmed to automatically come on when I start the engine). After a few engine restarts, the p-side fog light will start working again.

With Irene headed our way, I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to get on the Early Bird list for next week.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Wow thses MINIs are complicated little beasties. :crazy: I think I like my cars a bit older. They are much easier to work on. Every year they seem to become more complex.

Hope Irene misses you & the folks on the east coast.

19. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ericka, when you had your accident, did the airbag deploy? If so, and if a new one was installed, apparently it's easy to accidently rotate that center round disc (where #2 & #3 plug into). There is a warning that if rotated it will damage that special spring and it can't be repaired only replaced as a complete assembly.

So they went through two of them after your accident? Makes you wonder.... Huh?

20. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Yes, both airbags deployed.

There was a problem with the steering angle sensor & something to do with the sensors that ignite the airbags. Schultze had been checked a few times for the horn not working, but of course, the diagnosis ALWAYS was "unable to duplicate/recreate issue", yada yada yada.

The driver airbag was replaced TWICE as defective and they refused to replace the 2nd airbag even though the MINI emblem in the center wasn't fully glued/adhered to the rest of the unit. If I'm not careful, it will snag a sweater or scratch my arm. The emblem isn't sold separately, so the entire unit would need to be replaced and they refuse to do so for "cosmetic" reasons even though the scratch was bad enough to draw blood a few times. :incazzato:

I've considered using a small syringe to place some 91% rubbing alcohol to dissolve the adhesive and remove the MINI emblem, but I'm afraid the blank area left behind will look, well, lacking character.