Exterior 1st Gen Engine Bay Clean Up

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Batrugger, Jul 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    If your getting tired of hearing all about my VW you'll be glad to know that I have turned my attention back to the MINI for some much needed love. It looks good on the outside:

Art2_008.jpg

but the engine bay is oh so plain. We really just wanted to dress up those horns, but pulling them isn't as easy as most would think. Knowing this, I decided to take care of a few things while I was in there. Ideally I would like to paint the rails since the factory paint is horrible, but that just isn't in the cards right now. So we will be pulling a bunch of parts, some will get chrome and others will get polish. We won't be deleting anything, but the wires and hoses will be tucked and hidden away as much as possible. So it began yesterday:

IMG_9054.jpg

I actually got all of that off without removing the front end. I am still going to pull the coolant overflow tank, transmission mount, and belt tensioner, but all of the other parts have been sent out. I won't get them back until next Friday and I have to work through next weekend. Hopefully I will be able to show you some progress pics next Monday.

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    We never get tired of hearing about your VW! But glad to see the MINI is getting some attention.

3. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #3 Batrugger, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks Mr Jim, I have some updates despite waiting on parts. After removing the trans mount I went ahead and removed the front end to do make it easier to clean in the bay and do some work on the parts of the core support that can be seen:
    IMG_9059.jpg

and since I didn't want to remove the AC lines, I hand polished them too:

IMG_9056.jpg IMG_9057.jpg

Having all of this stuff out of the way makes it real easy to get in there and clean, but since the supercharger and intake are open, I can't use water so it is all has to be done by hand. I also had the wheels polished and then I polished the inside of the bolt holes:

IMG_9055.jpg

4. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    subscribed

5. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap, that's real love! Can't wait to see what else you do! And I agree with Jim, your car adventures are epic no matter which car.

6. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Pleasant surprise this afternoon since parts weren't supposed to be ready until Friday. Stopped by to see how the parts were doing and he had everything polished. I pick up the chrome pieces tomorrow. This MINI's future looks so bright your gonna have to wear shades :cool::
    IMG_9063.jpg

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #7 Batrugger, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    I got some things reassembled. Intake manifold:
    IMG_9066.jpg

Trans mount with Powerflex bushings:

IMG_9067.jpg

and I painted the GP intercooler with some Eastwood radiator satin black paint:

IMG_9064.jpg

Too bad most of it will be covered:

IMG_9065.jpg

8. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Saw this car at AMVIV in 2010. It is unique and most definitely one of a kind. Subscribed....:Thumbsup:

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Wes, is all the polishing done by hand with polishing media and small buffing wheels (Dremel like?)? I can't understand how they manage to get in all the little nooks and crannies.

Or is it done with some kind of rotating tumbling machine?

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is great stuff. You and Kelli come up with great ideas and then pull them off even better than described.

11. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys

I took all of the parts except for the front core support to a polishing shop. Last year I tried to polish my intake manifold on my VW and realized I was way in over my head. Sanding and polishing aluminum is also a very dirty job. You can do it with small tools, but it will take a lot of time. All of the parts pictured were done in 3 days :eek6:. I do have this kit from Caswell that I use for small jobs and touch ups:

https://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

12. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    holy cow! i dont know how you guys do it... crazy good things!

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I think Wes is using the reverse method of this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RicwTkzyFJY]‪Jenny McCarthy Sucks the Chrome off a Trailer Hitch‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

14. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of chrome, One thing I learned from doing the engine bay on my VW was that beautiful polished parts just don't look right if they are assembled with dingy flat hardware. On this bay, as I pulled the parts, I put all of the hardware in a bag and sent it out for chroming. I picked it all up yesterday and it looks amazing:

IMG_9068.jpg

I am still waiting on the hood latches since those went to a different place. Another trick I learned was that stainless steel acorn bolts can be used in place of nuts to hide exposed studs like I did on the three nuts on the front of this valve cover:

Before
    IMG_8860.jpg

After
    IMG_9061.jpg

Now reassembly can begin in earnest. Unfortunately I have to work this weekend so it probably won't be finished until next week.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's those little details that make the most difference. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

16. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I am indeed impressed. :Thumbsup:

Jim

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    One thing I learned some time ago, if you use the braided SS hose lines, make sure they are secured against rubbing other parts they might come in contact with. I had a BMW 2002 years ago and replaces all of the rubber hoses with aeroquip. One of the steel hex bolts had the head almost completely worn away just from the movement of the braided line from the engine rocking.

I would particularly watch the line in the last pic that appears to rest on one end of the valve cover....

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Cool will do, thanks for the heads up :Thumbsup:

19. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Just got back from my National Guard weekend. Friday I managed to get this much done:
    IMG_9071.jpg IMG_9073.jpg

I'll get it all wrapped up tomorrow.

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0