Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Engine Block Warmer, good buy?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ChItalian1027, Feb 6, 2014.

1. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so you guys know how it has been below zero since January. I was wondering if an engine block warmer would be a good purchase or if I am going to waste my money.

Thoughts?

TIA

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Have you had problems starting the MINI?

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I've been putting heaters in my garage. As long as the temperature stays in double digits, it'll start without issue. Otherwise I get the yellow engine icon, with low revs. To run normally I have to sit and run the engine for about 10 minutes at 3000 rpm. Then I turn it off then on again and it'll run fine.

Is that the kind of issue you're having? Because I've also considered an engine warmer.

I have an 08 MCS.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE0VlXSL0ro]Cold effects on MINI - YouTube[/ame]

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Are you asking about the oil pan warmers or an actual block heater? The block heaters are only for diesel's wired for it.(?)

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think a block heater is a great idea for really cold wintertime use, I drive 5 miles one way to work and my car does not get up to temp on these cold days, I even had the thermostat replaced just in case.....

The block heater I'd want is one that goes into the water jacket and heats the coolant.... the best way to use those is to plug it in when you get home from a drive, that way the whole engine is already warmed up and it's fairly cost effective to keep it warm overnight. You don't need a diesel to have a block warmer, most plug into household current. The best ones I think are those that replace a freeze plug in the block itself, I'm not too sure about the efficacy of the ones that go in a radiator hose, but those are far easier to install.

In my case where my car doesn't get driven for a several days at a time, I would only plug it in a few hours ahead of my drive time, but even that would help enormously. Remember tho, drive easy at first, the rest of the car is still very cold and stiff.

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I had one of those, well 2, they both sprung leaks, dumping coolant very fast. Now when they worked they were great, temp. gauge in my 03, would be almost 1/2 way to normal operating temp. even at -45f at start-up, so warmish air is blowing right away.

I would not bother with any kind of engine heater, unless it's colder then -20f for long stretches of days were you live. Windchill does not count...

A battery tender can be used to keep the battery charged and warm, the engine will turn over and start, but all the mechanicals/oils/lubes will be frozen, so letting the car warm up for a few minutes is a good idea. That and downshifting are good to do around a Prius owner:wink:

Another thing that takes a beating in extreme cold are chassis parts, shocks freeze, wheel bearing grease freezes, tires go square. Go slow when you start out at cold temps.

Dave, motor around for a few more minutes:Thumbsup:

Mark

7. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    When it was like -15F here in Chicago in early January the MINI wouldn't start, then the next day it was slightly warmer, but still really cold. That was the only problem with starting the MINI, ever since I have put the MINI in the garage. I don't get CELs from cold starts, just takes awhile for it to warm up, I never go past 2,000rpm until after 20mins until it has fully warmed up.

Thanks for the help guys!

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeeeeaaahhh every car is going to have a starting issue at -15.

The garage is your best bet along with the 20 minute warm up. :Thumbsup:

Just take a quart of any oil and set it outside when it's zero or below outside. The next morning bring it inside and try and pour it. :lol:

9. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I have tried to pour oil that has been outside in minus degree weather, it is funny when it takes forever for it to pour.

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I had the occasion to visit Fairbanks, AK a few years ago and couldn't help but notice that the majority of parking lots for the larger businesses, grocery stores, K-mart, etc. had electrical risers for plugging in block heaters...

[​IMG]

Seems they almost expect you to have a block heater installed, regardless of make and model.

11. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    If you have a garage.... Try putting a 100 watt trouble light under the bonnet...and lower the hood. Make sure it doesn't lay on any wires... It's surprising how well that works.

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of being close to Hudson Bay, at a dam construction site, -a bazillion, and they would start bonfires under the heavy earth-movers that sat overnight...

Mark

13. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Heh, not exactly a car story, but you reminded me.

My Dad is a historian, and he's been doing some research in old newspapers for stories about Cincinnati (his home).

He came across one about a building site in the late 1800's. They were of course hauling the wood in horse wagons in those days, and buildings took over a year to construct. So eventually the horses would learn the routes, and the drivers could take a nap on the trip from the lumberyard to the site.

Well apparently one driver fell asleep at the reigns, and the horse followed the route to a site that had just been completed. The driver was supposed to have taken the wagon to a NEW site, but you know how things are.

The horse knew that it was supposed to stand in one place until the wagon was unloaded, and no matter how hard the driver tried, he couldn't get the horse to obey.

So he decided to start a fire under the horse, to make it move.

It worked. The horse walked forward until the fire was under the wagon, and stopped.

I'm not sure why the driver was unable to put the fire out, but....

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ :lol::lol:

15. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised there wasn't a great Cincinnati fire

16. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    A block heater is nice....
    A bit of a luxury... Maybe even overkill for most of the lower 48....Michigan up the UP, northern Maine...parts of Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas might be nice....but a good battery is almost all you need....
    But it was nice pluging in my car (used a timer so it would turn on 2 hours before I needed it) and having near instant heat when I would start driving.....
    Avoid leaving it on all day/night.....at 750 or 1500 watts they are not cheap to run and could cause crankcase condensation.....and you still must drive gently when you start....the other parts of the car are still cold....