2nd Gen JCW Engine Code Info - P2188

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Jason Montague, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :confused5: Dear Gear Head Miniacs.( 08 R56 MCS JCW 48kmi) I was doing my after work therapy drive through rural N Central Texas(100 F) 30min ago when the yellow(picture of an)engine light comes on(constant not blinking). Car driving like normal. Scan Gauge II says;temp 190, MAP 12-14 @ 74mph gently rolling terrain, volts 13.7, air intake temp 94 F and P code of P2188. Any one know what that P code means? I'll check back later. I checked our library and didn't see a P code list and the owners manual doesn't have one either.

:cornut::Thumbsup:

Jason

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Had the same one. Apparently from the small amount of info I have been able to find, most of the time it will go away (mine has) and it was just an error. I have gotten it a couple of times, but then it goes away.

Most cases have been after an aggressive drive, and the problem is apparently a software issue that can be fixed with an upgrade.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    P2188 = System Too Rich at Idle

On the R56 it is often attributed to the Alta CAI and possibly the Boost Tube, you have one?

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Too Rich at idle....

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh...and the item you would look for in the Library is hidden under the name ...

ECU Codes Chart in the All About MINI Coopers section. :D

6. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: THANK Y'ALL VERY MUCH! Yes I just came off of a spirited drive(some what north of 74mph) and the exit ramp had a stop light. Nathan really gets the prize as I do have Alta cai and boost tube. Thank you every one that put in their 2cts. Boy, do we have an info site like no other! :Thumbsup:

Jason (ECU codes chart............thanks Nathan, got it)

7. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    How do we back this list up with images of the warning symbol so we have a clue what we are looking at? Without the code reader, this list is not terribly helpful when all we are seeing is a graphic warning symbol... Not nearly as helpful as the folks who answered us! :Thumbsup:

8. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    So, what if one doesn't have the Alta set up and gets that warning?

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Each code does not have its own special light or pattern of flashes. A code is thrown that the ECU thinks you need to know about so it lights up the light. You read the code somehow and the cross ref with a chart. Some code readers translate it for you, most don't.

In this day and age a code reader is an important basic tool to own if you mod a car at all.

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Scan Gauge II interprets and converts it to P code and will cancel it for you also. $150, 5min install, and all the gauges one could want(except oil pressure, thanks to Peugeot/BMWs lack of fore sight). Doesn't compare to added custom gauges but for those of us on a budget, it's great. :Thumbsup:

Jason

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    ECU Code

:cornut:I got a code today and can't quite figure out the code as the code chart doesn't list it .:mad2: The code is P115D which is not listed. P0115 is listed and it is: Coolant Temperature Circuit. Whoops- Margi is an 08 R56 MCS/JCW 52K mi. More info,not too long ago the computer and thermostat had to be replaced(warranty thank the Lord) due to both being defective/burned out/broken but Margi is not vomiting coolant after engine shut down like before. It only happened once this afternoon during acceleration on a mildly spirited drive on a country lane(speeds 40mph-70mph) in 100f heat. Forced air intake temp was normal 8f higher than ambient temp. The engine temp was normal @ 220f. Oil 1/2 qt low. Only happened once, I continued the drive @ normal speeds and no repeat of code. Any one have any ideas?:confused: I plan to watch her closely and continue to drive her but I just thought that it might be a good idea to pass it by y'all and get some miniac gearhead input.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    According to the new Bentley Manual for the 2nd Gen MINI, P115D is Mass Air Volume Flow "A" Too High

What that means in English is beyond me.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Jason.... Your down in Texas right?
    It's gotta be too much hot air.....:D

14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:Thanks Nathan. It could have to do with the new aluminum(noncollapsible) Alta Turbo Intake pipe(as opposed to the old Alta silicone collapsible hose) which I installed last weekend. Interesting: the last time I asked you about code P2188, it was the old collapsed hose not letting in enough air and now the new pipe lets in too much. I don't think that this will harm the engine as it only happens occasionally and briefly but any Nathan type advice would be appreciated.:cornut:

Jason

15. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yeah Buddy Boy Howdy! You know, come to think of it, it could just be the Nut behind the wheel. I am often(rightly) accused of being a bag of hot air.:lol:

Jason