1st Gen R53 Cooper S Engine mount problem...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by CurrysMini, May 1, 2013.

1. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, had my mechanic replace lower mount with the BSH lower mount, replaced the upper mount with the TSW mount and also replaced the gear box bushings with the Powerflex Polyurethane bushings. Everything is much tighter and feels good, but the problem is my front sway bar at times is rubbing up against my header. I also have a Janspeed header. Have any of you guys/girls had this problem, and if so how did you fix it? Seems like he could adjust the mounts to stop this from happening. I just want to have some suggestions I could throw his way. Thanks for your time guys.

2. 1momini

1momini New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    mechanical contractor
    Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I think everyone is at the dragon

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Check your end links and sway bar bushings. Those mounts have nothing to do with your problem unless everything was not put back together right.

Oh also check your center exhaust bushings one could have been ripped or broke causing the exhaust to move and rub up stream.

4. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The exhaust might be the problem, cause my exhaust flex joint had busted and had it replaced. Thats when the sway bar problem started. I actually had two bust in a weeks time. They were the ones that said I had bad motor mounts. So had those replace by my mechanic which agreed that the mounts were bad. But it didn't completely fix the sway bar problem since it came back. I might need to get under there with the mechanic and take a closer look.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also just so you are aware the Jansport header is not of the highest quality but I think you already know this since you have had the crappy flex joint issue.

If you have the funds you may want to upgrade to a Milltek header. They are high quality if you have a stock head and come with a high euro spec Cat. (That's another reason they cost so much, high quality is not cheap)

Now if you plan on going for big power with big valve head like RMW's you should give Jan a call and get his street header which is port matched to his head and is the BEST you can buy.:Thumbsup:

Quality parts are trouble free. *** If installed correctly but they do cost more.***

The old rule still applies, you have to pay to play, how hard do you want to play?:confused::idea::devil:

Good luck with your car and keep us updated.

6. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your infor man, at the time of buying the Jansport header I didn't know it was the "cheep" one to buy. I wasn't looking to save money. I do believe in quality and run my business that way. When I bought it, thats what everyone was running and the header everyone talked about...I will look into getting a new header cause I just went through another flex joint this weekend....

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good luck man