Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Exhaust Center Support: Delete?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by GeorgeCo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. GeorgeCo

GeorgeCo Site Sponsor
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Motorer
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I had to replace my Alta exhaust after rotting through my second resonator (car was 130 db at 65 MPH). I got a new exhaust from Ireland Engineering. It was cheap but appeared well built and didn't seem restrictive. I like the tone and the fit and finish is good, but not problem free. The clamps were the wrong size and the bolts too short. The tips are angled even when centered. But the biggest problem is the bracket that fits into the center support just beyond the cat. The "wings" aren't long enough to stay engaged in the rubber supports of the center support bracket. The result is that the exhaust drops down and vibrates against the support bracket. It will be a while before I have time to take it to the fabrication shop and get the bracket relocated and extended. In the meanwhile, can I just run without center support bracket or do I risk damaging the exhaust header somehow due to the vibration from having about 10 feet of piping without support? 2004 Cooper S. Thanks.

2. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Do not remove the center brace, use it to prop up (support) the exhaust with some heat shield (or something) material until you get the hangers fixed.

"You get what you pay for" is something to keep in mind. :crazy:
    Not trying to be crude here.

Mark

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    And.....
    Sometimes you get less than you pay for.....:(

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    A coat hanger is a good temporary fix. And it's not like anybody's gonna see it way under there.

5. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, you definitely want to run that center support.

Also, if you have a 'new' system from IE, then I would give them a call and let them remedy the situation (Repair, replace, refund). This is a quality issue that is covered under warranty. This should not be a problem. Reliability issues you may encounter down the road, such as the Alta resonator demise, are typically harder to get resolved.

Call IE now, cause once you tamper with their product in any way......the warranty is null and void.

6. GeorgeCo

GeorgeCo Site Sponsor
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Motorer
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    IE Exhaust

Ran out of time to send it back so I ended up making a few modifications. For some reason they use a sort of U shaped design on the center support wings, with the base of the U being welded on the resonator and the wings sticking out the side of the center pipe. I ended up using a cutting wheel cutting the U part off. The cleared the center support bracket. I moved the rubber supports closer together and that solved the problem withe the wings being too short. I ended up cutting about 10mm off the piece with the exhaust tips to try to get it to center in the bumper cover and I had to angle the cut so it pointed more or less straight behind. In the end, I'm happy with the performance of the exhaust, and the tone is certainly an improvement over my blown resonator in the old Alta. Installation was a disappointment. Next time I'll try not to back myself into a corner time-wise. More about the experience here.