2nd Gen R60 Countryman Extended Maintenance?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by paul1994, Feb 19, 2014.

1. paul1994

paul1994 New Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just took my Mini in for service after having the service engine light come on.(Misfires I believe after reading the codes) After buying this car second hand I was not sure what warranty I had left but it looks like the 3y/36k expires in May, so I am pleased.

After going over the history with my Service Adviser it seems that my clutch was replaced around 21k and i have 30K on the vehicle now. I feel pretty good that i have the maintenance still intact still but thinking about extending it and wanted to get peoples opinions

Also the other option would to build my own Mini from scratch.. It would cost me more money but piece of mind for for years.. I am trying to justify paying $175 dollars more a month for the satisfaction of a new countryman...

So I was wondering if anyone else have bought the extended maintenance? It seem to cover the clutch if it need to be replaced(one of my main concerns buying a Countryman) and also to to go new or stick with what I have.. I am happy for the most part i wish i had heated seats and auto dimming rearview mirrors, but other than that this car is a blast to drive.

is it cheaper to keep her

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Two ways that people around here think about it. Me, I bought my brand new MINI Margi (08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) in Jan of 08. The R56 was a brand new model that came out in 07. Instead of the very reliable Pentagon/Tritec/Chrysler/ Brazilian super charged engine(R53) they had the new Peugeot/Prince/ French turbo charged engine(R56). By 09-10 the bugs had been worked out but my Margi was a 'garage queen' for the 1st 50kmi. When purchasing her my little voice said ," you better get the 50kmi warranty and not the 36kmi warranty." I am so happy that I did as so many expensive things went wrong that MINI must have lost thousands on my Margi. Now my extended warranty was cheaper than yours will be as it was purchased when the car was new. Your car not being in the 07-09 year range won't be as plagued as Margi was with breakage. So most people here would tell you to keep $2-$3k 'just in case money' in the bank especially since $175 x 12mos. is roughly $2k . I hope that this makes sense to you.:Thumbsup:

ALSO: 1st post, welcome to MA.

3. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    hmmmm, it sounds like there are two different things being discussed on these two posts.

the OP mentions the 3/36k service. That is for regular maintenance items(including clutches, rotors, pads, oil chages, etc), which can be extended to 6/100k for about $1,800(on a newly built Mini, not sure what it costs on a pre-owned).

Then there is the warranty which is currently 4/50k, which can be extended out to 8/100k and that covers all the break-fix items. For 2013 Mini's,I have talked to many dealers and the price is about the same: ~$3800.

From all the posts I have read here and on NAM, it seems to be that a lot of the longevity of the mechanicals has to do with proper break-in and ensuring proper oil levels/changing oil regularly.

We bought both of our Minis new with just a couple of miles on them and broke them in exactly per the manual regarding brakes, clutch and motor.

Since the OP bought theirs used, they don't know how the car was broken in, whether oil levels were kept consistent, etc. I can see where they would be looking at both options: getting an extended warranty of the current car or building a new one from scratch so they control how it is broken in and maintained.

Not sure what year CM the OP has, but I think the clutch problems were resolved around November of 2012 or so?

We bought the extended service plan on both cars(NOT the extended warranty), because we drive both Minis the way they were meant to be driven, so I'm pretty sure we are going to go through numerous sets of rotors/pads and those are very expensive items through Mini.

We have set aside a "mini repair fund" and put money into it every month. when the warranties run out on our two Minis, we will have funds to cover a good number of repairs, and if we don't spend it on the Minis, then that's money in our pocket...to us the Mini extended warranty costs past the factory 4/50k is really, really expensive.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ Excellent plan....:Thumbsup:

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    With so few miles on the car in the OP, I'm guessing this is an R56 or something in that vintage. Without knowing what it actually is, I'm reserving opinion on retain or replace... Maybe some more info will be shared so we can offer additional input to the owner.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ It's posted in the 2nd Gen forum so it's most likely a R56....

7. paul1994

paul1994 New Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry guys.. Its a 2011 r60 with 30k I picked up recently.

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Buy the warranty.... JMHO.

9. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    If you plan on keeping the car for awhile ( 3-5 yrs ) ....get the warranty.
    If you dont think you will keep it for more than a year or 2 ...skip it

IMO......:)

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ or you could always use you Visa / MasterCard warranty. :lol:

The down side is: It will cover everything, you just have to pay it back.
    The upside is: It cost you nothing up front and if you never us it its free.