F1 2011 Fantasy Leagues

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #1 Steve, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    "Fantasy" F1 league anyone?

I've played a thing called PickSix for a few years but that started on NAM so I'm switching gears this year. Think I'm gonna play along on something called GPUpdate Manager. I don't play any other fantasy sports, mostly because they always require much more effort than I want to put in. I like simple (and cheap), emphasis on the simple (and the cheap). I thought PickSix was easy; before each race pick the drivers you think will finish in the top 6 positions and then wait for the points to be tallied. I think GPUpdate Manager will be as easy but more interesting. Once you register (cost is 5 Euro, about $6.91 at the moment) you get fake Euros to buy a team of one driver, chassis and engine.

I've registered and I've been reading through the rules, FAQ, etc, and I think it'll be fun. I'll even set up an M/A subleague if others want to participate. You can't win any money but there are some pretty good prizes available for top scorers...esp. given the low cost to play.

If interested, check it out here.

FWIW, if you decide to play, just register and study, don't build your team yet. If I understand the rules, you'll want to wait until nearly the last minute to pick your team.

Let me know what you think.
    -----------------------------
    EDIT: If you're just looking in, please read on. There've been some changes. We've started setting things up on SpeedTV's game instead of GPUpdate's. Looks like fun, please join us!

Also, if you decide to play along, please post up so we'll all know who's in.

-----------------------------
    The Motoring Alliance team:

am0eba
    goaljnky
    Little Egg (Mrs. Goaljnky)
    Nathan
    Redbeard
    RllyDrvrIX
    ScottinBend
    Steve
    TGS91

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Steve,

SpeedTV had a GP edition fantasy league last season. Free and real real simple. The nuts had their own league. Might want to look into it. I'd be down for that.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #3 goaljnky, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Now that could be fun.....kinda like the Picksix was fun.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #5 Steve, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    Yup. :Thumbsup:

Now I'm trying to decide which I prefer; GPUpdate Manager vs SPEED Fantasy Racing GP Edition. The rules, FAQ, etc, are incomplete in places at GPUpdate and contradict themselves in places at Speed, so no advantage there. The Speed version fits my "must be cheap" requirement (at $0 vs around $7) but GPUpdate Manager looks more simple. Although, the apparent relative simplicity may just be a result of a lot more to read at Speed, esp. re their points scoring system.

Thanks to the Bahrain cancellation there's still time to decide before the season starts. They both look good but I won't be playing both.

Looking for any other opinions.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Speed was simple. Pick 3 drivers, pick a chassis, pick an engine. You get three transfers per race before qualifying. You get points based on qualifying, laps completed, finish, number of cars passed in the race, some others. Pick a bonus race which will double your points for that race.

I had a few races where guys like Alonso started in the back and got more points via passing then if they would have finished first. It did not require a whole lot of interaction, so that was good for me.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Let me know which you pick Steve. I'll play along this year.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Back to the Fantasy racing.....lol Any reason why we don't do the picksix? It is nice and easy.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I didn't mean to dismiss PickSix outright. I enjoyed PickSix, it's free, easy and fun, plus it works different than most others. No team to pick and then trade and manage throughout the season, just predict the top 6 finishers for each race.

However, each year it seemed to me like PickSix was gradually running out of steam, less players each year, less interest and less attention from the one guy who runs it, etc. I figured it was time to go looking for something with a bit more life in it. I skipped last year though so don't know how that went.

I'm signed in at picksix.com right now, poking around. I get the impression it might be stagnant. For example, if you sign in, the current events page says the next race is the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix on Saturday, December 31, 2011, and the timer says the PickSix cutoff is about 304 days away. Then I started trying to click around the rest of the site and every click took me to an error page. I no longer have the guy's email address so I can't ask him about it.

Did you play last year? What did you think?

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I didn't play last year either. But it sounds like the commish may have decided to step away from it. I too liked the idea of simply picking the finish order. But I am open to whatever is picked.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I just signed in again and now I'm no longer getting all the error messages but the events page shows only the results from last year and only the 31 Dec, 2011, Bahrain race open for picks. Two people have picked for that race already. :lol:

I really do think he finally dropped it. You may recall it was originally set up by the Commish's deceased brother and then run in his honor and memory. It's been 13 years since the brother died, I get the feeling he's decided to let it go.

There's one other I've seen that's sort of similar called Pick 8. It's sponsored by GP Tours. I'm not as happy with the scoring, etc, though. Check it out here. Let me know what you think.

I'm personally starting to warm to the build-a-team versions. They look a lot more simple than I imagined and look like they might be entertaining. Might also be fun to play along with the Speed announcers.

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well I took the liberty of starting a league on http://f1st.silentworld.tv/league.aspx?page=league&id=10041

The league is free. Seems like the rules have changed a bit from last season, but still pretty simple. 4 drivers, 1 engine, 2 constructors, 1 bonus race.

League name: Motoring Alliance
    Password: johncooper

13. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well THAT was more complicated than expected, but I'm in with Team DOING IT WORNG!

_Dave_

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I guess you're smarter than I am. I registered but it won't let me log in. :mad2: Yes, I'm sure I'm using the right password. Guess I'll go fiddle around some more and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

15. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Thread for fantasy league discussions and signups.

Dave, you have been accepted. If anyone wants to join and can't figure it out, send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you an invite.

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Steve, you've been accepted.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmm.....

Can't get the page to load. Tried 3 times and it just spins its wheels. Will try this afternoon from home.

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    It took me a while to work out all I had to do just to get fully registered. It wasn't really so much work, I just kept trying to do what seemed to make sense and ignoring the illogical...if I would have reversed that I would have been on in no time. I hope the ridiculously redundant registration process wasn't a sign of the way the game plays! Moving on.

I was planning to wait a while before choosing my team, assuming there would be costs associated with making changes (transfers), but it looks like you get unlimited transfers until shortly before the first GP. The rules still list the first GP as Bahrain in some places and Australia in others but they also say the "transfer amnesty" ends 13:00 (EST) 25 Mar 2011, that's the Friday of the Melbourne race weekend. Point is, you apparently risk nothing by picking early. :Thumbsup:

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. I will not share my strategy, but I will say that you should pick a later bonus race vs. an earlier one. One of the changes they made this year is only having four bonus races. Last season you could pick any race.

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Actually I was talking about making changes to team components like drivers, engines, etc, but transfers apply to bonus races as well...though differently.

Also, I read the rules differently re bonus races. I read the 2010 rules first and then the 2011 and I think you were only allowed to pick one bonus race last year but you could choose any race on the calendar. This year there are four bonus race scoring opportunities but they subdivided the season and each bonus race choice fits into a different, limited time window. Tell me if you read this differently -- from the 2011 rules.