F1 2012 Fantasy League(s)

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The first weekend of the 2012 season starts in 28 days in Melbourne.

If we're going to do the fantasy league thing again this year I think it's time to start looking around so we have time to choose.

I'm used to speed.com's system now and though it has its faults and limitations I'm willing to do that one again. That is, if they run it again this season. I tried the link today and doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Assuming it comes back online, here's the link for anyone new who might want to check it out.

Here's the other one I mentioned at the end of the 2011 season, Autosport's Grand Prix Predictor. You pick the top 10 finishers for each race and score 10 points if a driver finishes where you predicted, 5 if you were one position off, 2 points if you were two places away, 0 for all others. Seems very simple on the surface. Good prizes I think, need to read more.

Anyone else have suggestions?

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I'll be down. I'm assuming Speed is retooling their Fantasy League, that's why it's down.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Same here.......will go with the flow.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm in for this. Just let me know where to head at the right time.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm in too...

6. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm just learning the F1 world. This should help me get to know the players better. I'm in...

7. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I've been searching for the TV Broadcast schedule for the F1 events...doesn't SPEED broadcast these? I know...I'm clueless in this arena.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, and yes, in the US Speed broadcasts most of the races. Fox usually carries four of them, as they apparently will again this year

Click here for Speed's F1 race schedule, then click the "TV Schedule" button for the broadcast schedule. You'll then need to scroll down as they still have the 2011 schedule at the top of the list at this point.

It's far from a perfect (or even useful) schedule since there aren't any times. It looks like all they're doing there is identifying which network will cover which races.

F1 races shown on Speed are shown live, with a pre-race show usually starting a half hour early. Because of the global spread of venues this means most races are broadcast by Speed at what appear to be odd hours. There are other places where you can find actual race times but you can always check the countdown and exact timing at the official F1 site here.

The Fox broadcasts are usually delayed; on the day but in a time slot they think is appropriate here in the US...usually noon-ish.

9. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Grey, I know I will be DVR'ing the races. I like watching them on my time when I can. Often the F1 brodcasts would interfere with Autocrosses. However, if it doesn't you will be most welcome to come over to my place and watch them after I get down there. My fiancee also watches F1 so it would be a nice get together.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    17 days out and Speed's game still isn't accessible. I imagine Jerry is right, they're probably still working on it...or maybe it's me, is anyone else able to get to it?

I decided to sign up for Autosport's game today. So far it looks simple. The long list below may seem to argue otherwise but as far as I can tell it's still pretty simple regardless of extra and bonus points awarded based primarily on those same top 10 picks. Looks like you also guess which driver will run the fastest lap in the race, not sure what else there is to do.

After you sign up and name your team you can also create a league, so we can have a Motoring Alliance F1 Team there if we like. I can't tell whether there are any prizes for leagues.

FYI, once you're in, the Autosport connection all but disappears (other than in the URL), and it's simply the Castrol Edge Grand Prix Predictor.

I signed in today and found the following note:
    Lifted from the "How to Play" tab:

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I like this type of game as opposed to having the "fantasy league" like last year.

Did you set up an M/A league?

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Once I understood Speed's game I enjoyed it but I like this one too. I'll set up an M/A league and post the code here. :Thumbsup:

If Speed gets their stuff together I'll play there too if anyone wants to do that as well.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap that's a heck of a code: e7fe8f7fd377491eb6a8f25c62d42fe7

If you sign up for the Autosport / Castrol Edge Grand Prix Predictor you can also join the Motoring Alliance F1 Team league by entering the code above or, apparently, you can click this team link.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK....got signed up.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm in on the Castrol one now too...

Nice Team Name there Scott

16. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Gah! I have to remember do this tonight. (Blocked on my work computer)

17. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    yeah, ok, I'm in.

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I checked at the Speed site just now and noticed they've even deleted the GP Fantasy sub-tab from their Formula 1 page. Then I remembered being confused all last season that the Speed announcers were constantly pushing the Pirelli GP Challenge instead of their own. I get the feeling Speed dropped theirs...could be wrong of course, time will tell.

In the meantime, looks like Pirelli give out a LOT more prizes than Speed and there are just three things to predict at each race. Check out the how to play and prizes tabs: Pirelli GP Challenge.

I already signed up hoping to get access to more details but can't find an option for a team or league...

I think I'll play this one in addition to the Castrol/Autosport one...maybe.

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Steve, that's a 2011 GP league.

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I know that's what it says on the Prizes and How to Play pages but look more closely at the Welcome page. I assume they just haven't finished touching things up yet for 2012...maybe.