F56 JCW: 17" or 18" wheels?

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by fridayxiii, May 18, 2018.

1. fridayxiii

fridayxiii Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Male
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I fell head over heels in lust with a Starlight Blue F56 JCW at MOTD this year, and for myriad reasons, have decided that it's time to start looking at a replacement for my beloved R53 (donning fire-retardant suit).

I've mostly decided on my build, but can't decide between 17" and 18" wheels. As much as I dislike gaping wheel gap, I don't have any plans to lower the car as I did my R53, and will definitely replace the factory rubber with either Michelin PSS or Conti Extreme Contact at some point. The F56 will be a DD and annual Dragon slayer, but no plans to AutoX or tracking the car.

With all that, what size wheels are you all running, and what would you recommend?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    First I have to ask......are you really being honest with yourself about not Modding the F56 when you get it??? Everyone says they wont but then it happens, the old addiction kicks in and like a moth to a flame they are drawn to all the pretty new parts.....:D Just ask @Redbeard and @vetsvette

Ok to your question. I have 17's on my R53 and really like them. The R58 JCW has 18's. I like them also. on the R58 they rub just a little at full lock. The other thing to think of is 17's with a little more sidewall will make a nicer ride. Not much help but maybe some of the F56 guys like @Redbeard and @vetsvette will be better to help.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I forgot to say the R58 is lowered

4. fridayxiii

fridayxiii Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Male
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    @MCS02 who said "no mods"** ? I just said "no lowering" ;) :p

** I already have a running list of must-have upgrades before MOTD 2019, and I don't even have the car yet lol

I have 17s on my R53 & have been happy, but am wondering if it's true that 18s will help reduce wheel gap (or affect the appearance of so much gap). I also watched a video review of 17" vs 18" vs 19", and in that review/test the 18" won out. With all that, I'm torn....

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0

To be fair my JCW is still stock.

The "mods" I want (which I don't have) are so the car will survive track days. So lightweight wheels (reduce heat and stress in the hubs to prevent cooking wheel bearings, ask me how I know lol), tires (what makes good track tires rarely make good street tires and I don't want to wear out my DD tires AND have an unsafe car on the track because of no traction), brake pads (high temp tolerant brake pads prevent glazing and brake fade on track), brake fluid (O.E. fluid will boil under track conditions and then you get a soft spongy brake pedal which is highly dangerous), possibly gearbox fluid (this new transmission may or may not need something to help with track heat conditions. My R56 did).

No springs, no swaybars, no tunes, no "meth injection".

As far as wheel size: Go 17". More options on tires and wheels for a lower price. Also, the gap will be the same with either 17" or 18" wheels as the rolling diameter for both is the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Redbeard those are all sensible and needed mods. You know you can’t eat just one lays potato chip. :D

7. MoBoost

MoBoost Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I did not like the 18” wheels offered and with the really crappy roads in Michigan, the 17” wheel provides a bit more margin when you inevitably go through a pothole.
    BTW, the JCW Pro Suspension is the best mod I’ve done so far. It transformed the car.