Facebook-outta here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TGS91, Jan 24, 2011.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I've been less and less enamored with Facebook and have hardly checked my page over the last 4-5 mo's

I mostly lost it with people positing that they just burped or had a cheeseburger or just got done beating their kids

It was nice keeping loosely intouch with some folks and occasionally get a note if they were OK.

This AM I got a invitation from my FB account to my business email asking if I wanted to be my own friend.......which I never sent

I am sooo over FB, account deactivated

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Could not agree more.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Now the other side of the page....

I just got contacted by a long lost cousin on my Mom's side, someone I'd completely lost touch with many, many years ago.

I agree that a lot of people misuse it, when I get someone like that who's drivel shows up on my page, I just hide them - end of problem.

But the good side is that I've found friends and relatives that I probably would not have ever seen or heard from again, that's been a valuable thing for me.

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya Dave and thats the good side

On the other hand when my acct starts inviting people to 'friend' when I did not initiate that action is over the line. In this event it was asking to 'friend' me!

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    There has always been something about FB that did not sit right with me and I have never, ever joined, yet I still get e-mails asking if I want to be someone's friend. I won't go near the place, but that is just me.

Jim

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There was a time when Facebook was a bit more usable, however now that it has become every marketers dream something has been lost. That said, while I am no Facebook fan it is integral part in marking another site I am involved in and M/A does have a page, not that I actively do anything with it. Twitter is another one I just cotton to, yet every new thread created on M/A is tweeted. There are loads of followers too. I don't really get but I'm learning more and more every day how to leverage both Facebook and Twitter to attract a following.

If it did not make good business sense I'd be on neither personally.

7. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to get MA to top FB on my most visited tab. I do spend more time on MA, but it's hits that count :)
    I agree, it's a good way to reconnect with friends - and I stay hidden so that helps, and no playing the silly games, quizzes, shoe throwing - or whatever.

8. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If they didn't invite folks to be your friend or vice versa it wouldn't be as bad..... Sense I have my Mini pictured there I get every person with a Mini anywhere in the world wanting to be friends... Don't get me wrong, I like having friends but the other day I got one in Japanese, not a word of engwish in their profile; now you know they didn't send me a friend request, FB did...:(

Think I might start posting important stuff like when I cut my toe nails or how many times I had to flush this morning...you know my new friend in Tokyo will be very interested.! Wonder if they have water saver toilets over there? :)

9. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Mark, don't you ever go out for sushi? They have toilets with 7 different flush option, heated/vibrating seats, self sanitization, and who knows what else. Really! And I think FB has probably suggested you to me at least once.
    MINIs to tend to get you a lot of suggestions :aureola:

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the FB system invites you to be friends with others, I'm pretty sure that they just suggest people with similar interests. Also I think they have an algorithm that looks for commonality between friends that two people already have and then suggests others on the list. I also think many just add those on those suggested lists without really looking in order to increase their fan base. The numbers are bragging rights to some.

11. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Facebook was a whole lot cooler when it was made for college students and it was just a few pictures and email addresses. Then all these adults joined in and before we knew it facebook had silly things like business promotions and farmville. :prrr:

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but if you put up a Stance Design page and bought advertising that was pointed to the Stance demographic I'd bet you would sell a lot more shirts.

Facebook is all about the marketing these days. Look at Disney | Facebook with the counter that greets you touting their over 124 Million FB fans.

My own prediction is that FB has reached that jumped the shark moment. With all the goings on raising more money with Goldman Sachs I just think that the moment is gone. It's not over, MySpace it is not, but the writing is on the wall.

13. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    The enamoring is wearing off.

14. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    FaceBook and Privacy Stuff

I use FaceBook daily. It helps me stay in touch with my wife that lives 8,000 miles away. In fact I reconnected with her after my divorce with my first wife thanks to a "Friend Suggestion" from a past college classmate, and after we got reconnected..the first time in 15 years, we got married.

I have my privacy settings set so that only my friends can view what I post. I don't let "friends of friends" see most things. I also group my friends into MINI friends, SCD friends, Family friends (lol), etc.. And can assign privacy settings to those groups as well if needed. FB is pretty powerful if you know how to tweak things, which I don't really know that well.

For my business, I get realtime feedback from people that like my work and can see what kind of reach I get. I'd say my customers are probably split 50/50 with those that find me from FB and those that don't use FB because they are too old, or hate FB or whatever. So I can't rely on FB 100%, but it is a useful tool, and the picture managing features are excellent.

The problem with FB is that the default privacy settings let everything about you be public. But you do have control over that to a pretty high degree. For my son, I created an FB page for him so he can play the games, but I set his privacy level so that he cannot be searched or found and only adds friends he invites. I realized how hard it was when I was trying to recover a lost password and FB couldn't find his account or anything associated with the account. Fortunately I remembered the password and all was good.

Richard

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Password = Mini Polisher?

16. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Haha, close, lol.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm sleepy, going to bed now....

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I hear the business realities, seems everywhere you turn it's 'visit us on FB' and business' that don't are gonna be left behind, same with Twitter

I suppose I could take OG's suggestion and amp up the privacy settings but I still have this really uneasy feeling from when I receive friend invites from myself and also wonder what other shenanigans are going on that I am not even aware of...yet

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Why do I get invites when I have never been to the site. I'm guessing it is a trick of some sort to get me to open the post.

Jim

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Jim.....
    It might be those XXX sites.....
    You need to start cutting back dude.....:Thumbsup:
    Fantasia really is just someone's 90 year old grandmother..... or so I've been told.:eek6: