2nd Gen R57 Convertible Factory Alarm vs Aftermarket

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Denzien, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm debating on whether or not I should add the factory alarm to my R57 order...is the factory alarm worthwhile? I've never had an alarm on any of my previous cars so I'm a total noob in that respect.

Thanks!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The factory OEM alarm has ultrasonic sensors built inside the cabin.... What this means is if some jerk decides to break the glass and reach inside, the alarm will activate without the need to open the doors. Of course, there could be an argument that the goods will be long gone as in a "snatch and grab".... But then what alarm would protect against that?

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    It's probably a lot easier to have the factory one than have some shop hack into the wiring harness. I'd add it to the order.

4. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    OK. I hope my MA isn't too upset that I'll be changing the order again :p (Last time, I swear!)

I'm thinking it's doubly important for the soft top.

5. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Are there any special or fancy features you get with the factory alarm?

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0

Not really, but what you do get is a warranty and factory wiring. If I was to add an alarm to a new car these days it would be OEM at time of build. I've had my share of aftermarket alarms and their issues.

7. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I hope my MA doesn't give me a hard time.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just remind the MA who the customer is, if they do.....

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    First of all I would ask yourself exactly why do you think you want it......if you think it will stop someone from breaking in, IMHO you would be wrong. This will not stop someone from from a quick break and grab if they see something inside that they want. If you think this will stop someone from stealing the car, remember that it is very, very difficult to drive off a MINI w/o the fob/key. It would need to be towed away and not many thieves carry a tow truck around in their bag of tricks.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Very True ^

I would not get a factory alarm since they are easy to get around.

Any good ($500 and Up) alarm with rolling codes, GPS and proper kill switches will be a 1000 times better than the factory alarm.

Then again I like my locked garage becasue if you cant see the car you cant steal the car. Also if a thief targets your car and really wants your car he will get your car in the end keyfob or not. :ihih:

Just saying....

11. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #11 Denzien, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Between the stuff included in the Highgate package and the stuff I added, the Alarm System was the only thing from the Premium Package not already selected, and is 'only' a $250 upcharge to add the package.

I'm under no illusions that any alarm is burglar proof - but for $250, it seems like a good enough value compared to any typical alarm system.

And really - would you guys say that I may as well leave my car unlocked? Locked doors aren't going to deter a determined thief either, so why bother right? Heck - if all they want is my stereo, I may as well entice them to not smash my window or cut my top ;)

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    On verts I'd say don't lock, but put a club on the wheel. I think the same way, rather have them get some spare change than slit the top.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just remember that they wil have to damage the car to set off the alarm if you lock it. And I don't think the alarm can be set w/o the car being locked.

14. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #14 Firebro17, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    I've never had anything but a factory alarm. I do agree that there's no way to keep a thief from getting into the car if they want to bad enough... alarm or not. And it's not uncommon for most unaffected folks to just ignore them anyway. If someone wants the car or my crap, have at it....

Insurance is bliss.

15. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I think the point is that things like a raised top and windows + locked doors will deter a certain level of thief (opportunists). An alarm system will deter still more thieves - just not all of them. Perhaps not even many of them. This is probably the point of contention when evaluating the need or utility of an alarm - the law of diminishing returns on escalated anti-theft devices.

Determining that because an alarm does not stop all thieves, one may as well not protect their vehicle from any thief is not logical. I'm not really sure if that point really made it across in my last post, based on the responses.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I would think that unless the alarm has an obvious indication that it is armed, the thief won't know about the alarm until it goes off. And if they see something they want to grab more than likely they will still grab it even with the alarm going off.

But you made the best point possible.......

"This is probably the point of contention when evaluating the need or utility of an alarm - the law of diminishing returns on escalated anti-theft devices."

If you feel it is worth it, that is all that matters.

17. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Well, I guess it was all a moot point anyway. I was about a day too late getting my change request in - I'm in production now.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  19. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    So what are the best aftermarket alarms for me to research?

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm just curious - has anyone on this forum ever had a car that was saved from theft by an alarm (confirmed)?

In other words, has anyone ever had their alarm go off when it was actually someone trying to steal your car, or something inside your car, and did the alarm save your car, or did the standard anti-theft mechanisms, or the door locks, etc.?

When I first started driving convertibles I got into a discussion about convertible security. There were quite a few long time convertible people in the camp of "leave the doors unlocked and let them in if they want in". Because tops are more expensive than stereos, radar detectors, etc.

Probably the only time someone would take the time to slash a top instead of smash a window is if they're trying to be stealthy where noise would draw attention.

But, as has been said, if they slash your top, and the alarm goes off, the damage is already done.

Personally, I'm just really careful where I park my car. When it's in a "safe" location, I'll leave the top down, even with "valuable" stuff inside. I've never had a problem. But it sleeps in a closed garage at night. Our neighborhood has had some issues with teenagers stealing stuff out of unlocked cars left outside at night. But they leave the locked cars alone.

I dunno. I decided that I didn't need an alarm, and after 13 years and 250k miles of convertible driving I haven't regretted that decision. But everybody has to make their own decisions. :Thumbsup: