Interior 2nd Gen Factory Coolant Temp Gauge. It exists. (photo proof) MINI Connected only

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by staynedglass, Mar 31, 2012.

1. staynedglass

staynedglass New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Mods feel free to move to the correct one.
    I have a 2012 with mini connected. If you have mini connected and an iphone you have a temp gauge.

first open the mini connected app on your phone (while it's not connected to the car)

click on mini apps, then click on the little mini in a square in the upper right. Set your driving profile to driving excitement.

close the app. (and it's really better if you close all open apps) restart the mini connected app on the phone.

go to mini connected in the car. (i forget the next area to go to. you should be able to figure it out. i'll edit when i remember)

and voila factory Temp Gauge
    DSCI0026.jpg

2. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That is pretty cool, but do you have to go through all of that every time you want the TEMP to show up in the NAV/Connected Screen?

3. staynedglass

staynedglass New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    no you just have to set up the mini connected app on the phone the one time. Then you just navigate to mini connected whenver you want it to show up.

4. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand why the i-Phone is needed if you have that NAV/Connected system already hooked into you MINI? Do you need a PLX WiFi sender plugged into the OBD2??

I must be missing something...

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The gauge is part of the MINI Connected app. To access you need the app on the iPhone and the MINI Connected option in the car. Currently there is not an Android equivalent.

App Store - MINI Connected

6. staynedglass

staynedglass New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    the mini connected is designed to specifically work with the iphone. with out the iphone and the min connected app alot of the functionality of the the connected system is lost. You use the y-cable that is supplied with the car. A portion of the software is actually on the phone but just using the big screen of the car. You could go the plx wifi into the obd2 route (and i plan on it eventually- i want a boost gauge and oil temp and pressure gauge as well) but then it wouldn't be a "factory" set up. I don't know if i'm explaining it correctly but any questions i'll be happy to answer.

7. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That does explain it, thanks!

Seems like MINI/BMW is getting a kickback from Apple to require something that should be inherent in every MINI, GAUGES!

I have the PLX WiFi setup with my i-Phone and it works fine, but it is just another thing that should not be necessary in a car that is supposed to be a "Sports Car". GAUGES, GAUGES, GAUGES MINI CORPORATE!!!!!

8. staynedglass

staynedglass New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    i agree. i was just happy to have found a temp gauge with buying anything:Thumbsup: i have an iphone 3g with a broken screen i'm thinking about getting repaired just so i can still use my 4s with the connected. That way i have a dedicated "gauge" set up

9. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The i-Phone setup backs up what my other MINI reads on a Marshall Temp gauge. The fan kicks on and drops temps @ 221f.