1st Gen R53 Cooper S Failed OEM manifold/Cat?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ZippyNH, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Noticed when driving home today my exhaust seemed a bit louder....
    got home...looked around...
    Found some exhaust leakage of the back side of the motor :mad2:
    So looks like the Manifold has failed...I'm guessing it failed at the precat joint...will know in the AM when I look more closely at it.....
    But here is my question for you folks...

$$ is tight enough that I am kinda limited in $$ to fix it...and I do have a RMW tune...so I don't want to do anything dramatic that would require a retune.....
    So I'm thinking if I can't get the failure fixed with a weld :fingerscrossed: and that since the NEW ones are so $$$, (short of finding a used one), my next best option to keep a street legal (No lights to pass a plug-in + visual inspection) might be to get the Flashpoint header Waymotorworks is selling....
    http://www.waymotorworks.com/flashpoint-mk1-r53-mini-manifold-header-cat.html
    [​IMG]
    Anybody here have one? I know it is not a MAX performance design by the nature of the design with the short pipes...but that MIGHT be what I need to not change things enough to need to re-tune.....and to be honest, I am pretty happy with the 200 Hp I have, when combined with a quiet family friendly ride and decent MPG when in commuting mode..with enough zip to be a blast when I feel the need to carve some twisties....
    Anybody have any other suggestions or ideas?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Is yours still an OEM exhaust header? Just take it off and have it welded / fixed. It will be the cheapest solution in the end.
    Any muffler shop should be able to add a new flex joint.

I am sure you can also find a used one on M/A , NAM or eBay for a reasonable price.
    I would have sold you my old one but I sold if $125.00. last year. :eek:

Just start a new thread on NAM and someone will have one in a garage taking up space.

3. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    I just replaced my OEM exhaust manifold with a Milltek...it was functioning fine, and as can be seen in the photo it has only mild surface rust as expected from a North Carolina car. I just did the change-out to the Milltek as part of overall performance mods I was completing.

I can sell my original OEM manifold to you for $125 plus shipping, same as what Dave O. sold his for last year....I will be at MOTD in a couple of weeks, so if you will be attending I can deliver and with no shipping charge.

If interested send me a PM.

Attached Files:

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Thank for the info....
    Will be getting it looked at on Monday to determine if it can be fixed or needs to be replaced...didn't feel like taking off the hestshields this am...guess the gray wx we are having fits my mood today....I guess crap happens...did not see anything obvious, but the volume of air coming off the backside of the motor and a SLIGHT idle change makes me wonder what I will find...but decided having it done rather than struggling with rusted bolts on an exaust/manifold will be the way to to it...
    Ever wonder why crap happens around a holiday.....
    Pretty good chance I might pick up that stock header even if we can weld it...grateful for the offer..and the info...I'll keep it in mind! Thanks guys!