1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible FES R52 Top Commander Review!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, Dec 3, 2009.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have owned my convertible for a very long time. I am not going to claim to be the first one in the country to own one. Or even the state. Or the city. As a matter of fact, I bought mine two days after I saw one at the corner of Melrose avenue and Crescent Heights. But it does have the first month manufacture date for the R52 of 09/04 stamped in its door sill. And it came into my possession on October 15th of that same year straight off the show room floor with barely 6 miles on the odometer. So all told it has been with me for a little over five years and 48,000 miles. It has mostly been a love hate relationship. I love the car. I hate the fact that I had my convertible top replaced twice. Same with the rear windows with those notorious half moon scratches which prevented many of us with R52s from getting our windows tinted for years before BMW came up with the fix. I now browse with amusement the stack of receipts from the dealer documenting various fixes, adjustments, replacements and regular maintenance. Over all my repair history is longer then Suge Night's rap sheet. But I love my car. I love the way it drives and lets face it, it just doesn't get much better then a convertible in SoCal.

But the one thing I always disliked was the convertible top's operation. All the button pushing and waiting was annoying. I suppose if you're a small Dutch boy, standing around with your finger in something is acceptable behavior. But for a grown man... lets just say the cool factor is not very high for that. One of my first mods was Ian Cullen's Auto Up with the DSC option. All those years ago I asked him if he could make something similar for the convertible top. Sadly, he did not have access to an R52 and so the dream remained unattainable. Thus, for years I was stuck leaving parking lots with one hand working the top, second hand putting on the seatbelt, third hand shifting gears and fourth hand trying to steer (no, I don't have four hands, but you get the idea). But not any longer. Thanks to the guys from FES (http://www.fes-auto.com) I now have an option to automate the tedious roof opening and closing task.

I will forgo the pictures due to an untimely death of my camera. Besides, there are plenty in the instructions which can be downloaded from the FES web site. The install was about as easy as a DIY project can get. The only thing I could find to pay attention to was the orientation of the plugs in the bulkhead once you connect them to the unit. I inadvertently connected the harness for the roof buttons upside down which caused some very curious behavior. Once corrected the rest was a snap. All told, with the wiring mix up, the install took about 15 minutes and that includes having to go upstairs to find a plastic card to remove the light assembly.

My initial impression? The unit does exactly what I asked for when I first talked to Dr. O about it. I have it set up with the sunroof option, which allows for single press opening of the roof in sunroof mode. My wife loves it. Double tap on the button opens the roof. Another double tap closes it. A tap on the windows close button and all 4 roll up at the same time. It is pure magic. There is an initial learning curve. I found myself inpatient and pressing buttons before the unit had a chance to do its thing, thus interrupting its programming. Not a big deal, just needed some mental adjustment on my part. Sadly, in accordance with Murphy's law, the weather in Souther California cooled down enough so I do not put my top down. But after nearly draining my battery playing with it in my garage all I can say is: thanks, Doc. Well done.

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And thanks...

for goading me to make it! Glad you're happy...

Matt

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    More then happy. This is something that should have been made straight from the factory. I know, I know. Product liability. Seriously, just as Ian's Auto Up was a must have for windows, this is a must have for convertible tops. If the R57 guys don't start beating a path to your door....

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Thanks jnky... you da man for whipping Matt into doing this. I'm loving mine, too.

I, too, goaded Ian about this, with no results. I guess he has more market savvy than Matt. Glad that Matt failed to realize what a tiny market this is. Good for us. ;)

And thanks for being a pioneer.. by the time I got my cabrio (a 9/2006 build) the kinks were pretty much worked out. No top or window issues...

Oh... and I guess I must have a bit of little Dutch Boy in my blood.

5. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I never did the circuit primarily because real work got too busy by the time I owned a convertible! Which is why, thankfully, Matt & FES now sell the original Auto-Up as well :)

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    It's all good!

7. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Oh, some (impatiently) are.

Beat, beat.

Andrew

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    That's great, we will be installing a couple from our first batch next week.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    IT's a smaller market...

but it's a much bigger problem I think that about 30 sec of button pushing is replaced by a coulpe of clicks. I'm hoping for a higher adoption rate than the Ian's original circuit (that keeps selling as well!)

Matt

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I hope you're right! It IS a great product. I think you'd get a UBER HIGH adoption rate - IF you could actually connect with most of the cabrio owners - which I think is tough. I wonder what percentage actually visit the forums... or read the mags... or anything...

Quite a few cabrios around here owned by folks who have no idea there's any such thing as a MINI enthusiast - they just bought it because it was "cute".

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping

to get a slot on Oprah! Then people who didn't even HAVE Mini Cabrios would buy it!

Matt

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Today I have found a con to Doc O's wonderful product. Had to load the vert on a trailer for a trek back home from track after a blown clutch. Once loaded up the doors, could not be opened because of the side rails. The top was still down. So, with everyone looking on I said watch this. And I double tapped the top close button. And then I stood there with that "oh my" look on my face as the top went up.... and SO DID THE WIDOWS!!! Doc, you gonna need a disclaimer. :D

P.S. It is good to have a mechanic who is not only there for you, but is skinny enough and has arms long enough to get your keys for you. Another shameless plug for Danny at Minicorsa. :Thumbsup:

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    That's the spirit!
    :Thumbsup:

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You gotta read your Mini owners manual...

This is just what the car does. We don't tell the windows to close, the car does that automatically.

Matt

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all...

I just updated the manual with lots of new pics, and put a how-to up in the library here.

Matt