1st Gen First attempt at HDR

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by nabeshin, Jun 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here are some shots of my first attempt at HDR. I don't think I had the right exposures to make good looking HDR. I also don't really know how to use the HDR crap in photoshop.

I'll keep trying HDR and experiment with camera settings, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. VicSkimmr

VicSkimmr MINI of the Month - January 2010

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Forgive me if you weren't looking for pointers, but here's what I would suggest.

First, I would download the free trial of Photomatix. It's much easier to work with and gives much better results. Past that, the idea is to bring detail to shadowed areas and add shadows to the bright areas. After that, it's all up to artistic expression and interpretation.

3. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good to know, I just don't know how to do that. I was basically changing things in photoshop and hoping that it turned out well with no understanding of what I was changing.

4. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can't help you there, I've never used Photoshop for HDRs :(

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Photoshop Elements would be a option too, Made to manage and edit digital images. Does a pretty good job IMO. Would do what VicSkimmer is suggesting.

Much cheaper than full blown photoshop, very powerfull editing and great organizational abilites

6. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I too, have tried to get HDRs to turn out "right". My Photoshop skillz are limited, so I feel your pain.
    BTW, the question in your sig.... I don't think so. I am always looking to see what you put in there next. To have someone that works with you, to allow you to create those, is awesome. :Thumbsup: Also, I'm not sure, is that you? Sorry for my not knowing.

7. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ^ +1

(Why are the photos so small? I click on them and they do not blow up; they remain thumbnail size.:confused5:)

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Are you taking at least 3 shots of the same view and bracketing the exposures?

This is the only "real" way of getting an HDR shot.

9. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep I have started attempting hdr and the method I have been told to use is multiple shots adjusting your f-stops over a dynamic range of +/- 3ev here is one of my friends' he uses 7 or more shots to do these:

[​IMG]
    image is copyright J.W. Lee photography and is used without permission but I know him .

10. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    no

I have no idea... :nonod:

Yeah, tripod mounted, using all 3 of my camera's fstops, manually setting exposure time and ISO so that it will not change it to compensate for the fstop settings. My camera is about 8 years old though...

[​IMG]

Ok, that is pretty damn awesome. Maybe I need a new camera...

11. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah Jon is pretty damn talented. here is his site pretty sure if you email him he'd offer tips

12. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not necessarily adjusting your f-stops, all that will do is give you pictures with different things in focus. The main goal is to adjust your exposures to give you one that is spot on, one that is slightly overexposed (to pull shadow detail from) and one that is slightly underexposed (to bring in highlights). HDR just helps to properly expose an image, since the camera can only properly expose either the foreground or the background in most cases. Past that it's all up to artistic interpretation. Here's a couple that I've done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On the topic of HDR, it usually requires a tripod mounted camera to get the multiple exposures at different EVs--so that aligning the images is easy. Unless you have a Canon 1DmarkIII, which can make 10 exposures in 1 second. I actually proved this (both the 10 exposures in 1 second, and the HDR feature I'm about to mention.)
    But with such high frame rates, you can get 3 frames (say -2EV, 0 and +2EV) in 0.3 seconds, effectively eliminating the need for a tripod, as the camera moves very little, if at all, in such a short time. I've made many of these sequences to get HDR images, but honestly, as Jason's examples prove, HDR is really more about the image and the subject than the technique. It really works for some images, and doesn't do a whole lot for many others.

14. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Or, if you're shooting in RAW, you can bracket the photos in post processing as long as you aren't extremely altering the exposures. The effect is generally the same and keeps you from having to constantly take (and store) 3-10 images for each HDR.

I use Lightroom and just create virtual copies to bracket the exposures. That way it doesn't take up more hard drive space than it needs and it keeps you from having to align the images. That combined with the Photomatix plug-in for LR and I can create an HDR in probably 1/3 the time it would normally take me :)

15. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, there are only a few people that I have seen who are really pushing HDR to be something beyond what you can get using RAW images and the highlight/shadows command in PS. I'd wager that about 90% of all HDR images are not that much different to images that could be created using one good RAW image and some serious PS work. That said, it'll always remain a novelty dimension of digital photography, much like panoramas, and fake-IR images. Only my opinion, of course.

btw, on the topic of recording/storing images. I got a 16Gb SDHC card for $30 at one of those big box stores a few days ago. When media is so large and so cheap, the issue of file size and number is essentially moot, IMHO.

16. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome! The best I could find when I got my camera was an 8Gb for $30.

At this point I usually just expose images according to the foreground and bring the sky back with a GND filter via Lightroom. I like that effect much better, but HDR can have it's uses. I've seen quite a few that could never be accomplished with just post processing (though you can do some amazing things in PS). It's just another tool in the box :)

17. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Up untill 2 years ago, my camera was still using a 32Mb CF card... Now it has a 2Gb CF card. I even have the 16Mb card it came with. But 16Mb was a bit bigger back in 2000-01

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

F-stops do exactly that.......change exposure. Does nothing for focus except change the field of view.

The rest of your explaination is pretty much right on. HDR is simply processing an image to show all of the detail available.

19. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #19 VicSkimmr, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    F-Stops control the size of the aperture, which controls the depth of field in a picture. A smaller F-stop indicates a wider aperture, which allows more light to hit the sensor, which requires a quicker shutter speed for proper exposure, which results in an image that has a shallow depth of field.

Shutter speed controls the exposure, and the aperture acts as a bottleneck on it, depending on the light available.

Assuming aperture is the only variable, increasing the F-stop will result in a narrower aperture, which restricts the amount of light that reaches the sensor, in effect stopping down the exposure, but it also alters the depth of field, and you don't want that with an HDR.

With digital SLRs these days (and high end P&S'), the camera will auto bracket an image by stopping down the exposure. When it does this, it alters the shutter speed, not the size of the aperture.

I know we're splitting hairs here because both can have the effect of altering exposure and their relationship is complex, but adjusting an F-Stop will not necessarily increase or decrease your exposure. Adjusting your shutter speed absolutely will though.

Edit: Actually I guess they both do, depending on which is the constant and which is the variable. I still hold that you would be better served to adjust shutter speed to avoid differences in the DOF though.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Guess it depends on what the camera is capable of doing, adjusting the apreture or shutter speed.

Of course I am still living in my old Nikon FE/FM days.....lol