First autoX for my MINI yesterday, had a blast!

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by ljmattox, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ran my first autoX yesterday in my MINI, after a decades-long layoff (ran aircooled VWs back in the day).

The STL SCCA folks ran a good show, very organized and we lucked out with overcast weather in the 80's, that's pretty good for mid-July in Missouri! About 100 cars, in two heats of 5 runs each.

I learned that I have a lot to learn about knowing my MINI's capabilities, and about reading and remembering the course. I was doing a lot of oh-crap, last-second speed and attitude changes, and that's not a good recipe for good times. It does provoke a LOT of understeer, though, also not helpful.

Can't wait to try this again. Just one other MINI participating, a Cooper in HS, and he won his class.

[​IMG]

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Great Report. Good Luck at your next one.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Congrats and remember it all about the FUN.:Thumbsup:

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    For me once I started doing a few events close together I was able to better see the course, instead of just a bunch of cones everywhere!! Good Luck and keep us posted on how your doing..

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Your not the only only to get lost in the cones!:eek: Glad it was fun but your dating your self, air cooled VW? Ok I don't feel bad about my X1/9 decades ago.:D

6. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a great day!! What class did you run in? Hope you keep going!

7. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    We had a nice X1/9 that campaigned in KC, some nice alloys and great-sounding exhaust. Yes...many years ago!

Thankfully, this recent course was fairly wide open, so getting lost wasn't a great threat. Back in the day, we would often run on smaller venues that had the course doubling back on itself and it was far easier to get lost. Made corner-working a real thrill!

8. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    They classed me in DS, which seemed correct based on what I'd read (and I had magnetic letters ready for that). I had a great time, and absolutely want to try this again.

The STL group (StlSolo.org) runs a street tire class for the SCCA stock categories, with PAX scoring. I'll probably jump in there next time as I don't plan on buying/running R-comps as all the other DS entries had. I don't plan any equipment changes at this point while I'm trying to build my skills, and don't need sticky tires masking my bad habits!

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #9 Jason Montague, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    :cornut: MINI on man. Sounds like your doing everything right including not getting too cocky but instead, learning as you go. I still like the pale blue color(I like to think of it as Infantry Powder Blue) of your MINI and especially the checkerboard roof.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    As Jason said, you're doing all the right things. I have an entry in the 2013 DSP thread that outlines the new SCCA rules for next year. Essentially, STOCK will become STREET and no more R-comps allowed. I think a fully prepped JCW for STREET will likely be quite competitive in D-STREET. Most of the mods that would be needed are things most Mini folks would do at some point anyway.

Keep posting your results and experience. We need more folks discussing autox on MA, IMHO.

Have fun!!