First AutoX with the Mini!

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Tummi_Gummi, Apr 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    This was my first auto cross period. I had a lot of fun. I used run flat tires so they were very stiff and hard. It didn't really work out that well. My rear tires were pretty low on tread to start. So the rear slid out a bunch but the track was also pretty gravely(the asphalt was breaking up in a lot of spots).

Here are the results

Final Raw Time Results, #2 - Event #2 4-14-2013 - Invalid DateTime

I don't even care I got 54th place overall time wise. I am just happy about beating those cars that I did! Hahaha I had a great time. I am in SMF because of my sc reduction pulley. So hopefully next time I get some better tires and come out a lot closer to that other mini!

2. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    I love to hear when Tummi_Gummi is out driving his MINI....Keep it up and keep having fun!!!!!

And if you go down the list you had a faster time then some of the big name cars
    Faster than people in some Porsches, Miatas, Cameros, ect so first time came out pretty good ! Way to go!! :Thumbsup:

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sounds like you've been bit by the autoX bug. Thats great!

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
  5. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    The guy in the hooded sweatshirt in the last picture looks sketchy.....Just sayin
    No stop watch , No fire extinguisher , no signs with an arrow, no video camera
    Just staring at Tummi_Gummi...hmmmm

Thanks for sharing the pictures.....Drive hard baby!!

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    R53 the only way to fly.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Congrats and nice pictures.

8. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Haha thanks guys! You can bet your butts I will have smoke coming from them tires next event!!! lol :)

9. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Great Pics.

I've been doing autox for four years and love it. I'm surprised your pulley pushed you into SMF...I thought it would just put you in Street Prepared.

Glad you like it. You'll learn more about street driving there than anyplace. Track is great for a whole different kind of thrill and skill. I've done both and settled mostly on autox...about 20+ events a year and occasional track day.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    My locals with an "S" with pulley, cai, and exhaust are in STX. Glad to see you out enjoying the FUN!!!

11. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I double checked SCCA rules for 2013. Section 14 for STX forbids changing the pulley diameter on supercharged systems. That's been the case nice STX was formed a few years ago. I ran that class the first year.

Section 15 for Street Prepared now forbids pulley changes as well. So, you're correct to be placed into a Street Modified class with your config if your club follows SCCA rules.

However, a turbo powered unit can have an ECU tune change to include direct boost changes in SP which is not allowed in STX. For the R53 being supercharged and the R56 being turbo'd it works out as an unfair hit to the R53 IMHO. Pushing the R53 into SM for the pulley change is a recent move directed at other cars that sort of unintentionally punishes the R53.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Ruh Roh wait till DaveO. and MCS02 here about this. If this wasn't MA we'd probably have an 'F' Bomb explosion.:lol::lol:

Jason

13. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying my first autox in a long ol' time this month (July 17), with the local SCCA gang.

I'm fully expecting to be tossed into STX due to the NM springs I'm running, but I'm just there for the experience.

A long ol' while, you say? Um, yes. I was examining my old trophies from running "gymkhanas" back in the day. Let's see...here's a good one.

MMKC Khana 1st Place Class "E" [was VWs, Fiat 850s, Renaults, a few others].
    July 12, 1970. Summer between my junior and senior year of high school, running my brother's 1970 VW (header, swaybars, Dunlop radials).

Crap. 40+ years ago. This should be interesting.