2nd Gen R56 Cooper First DiY Coolant Change

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Grgramps, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I've been doing this with my cars for more than 60 years and this one was an education. Mine is a 2010 with the N12 engine. The Bentley manual shows where a lower hose is to be separated rather than offer a drain plug as my earlier cars. Now that I look back, my air cooled VW's were a joy.

The separation was the real problem. First move aside a spring clamp and then pull the hose free from what I would call a plastic pipe nipple that joins 2 sections of hose. Had I the strength of King Kong it would have been easy. When I finally got it free, a tad over 1 gallon drained. Putting it back together was straight forward and pouring in the new coolant was routine.

The manual calls for ignition on, fan low speed and heater set to high. Several references call for a bleeder to be loosened to allow air to escape. It took a good light and patience to find the screw; however, I never did see any coolant escape to indicate that it had been bled properly.

This was done in my driveway using wooden ramps that I made more than 40 years ago. All of this would be much easier if so much wasn't housed in such little space. Those with small hands and thin arms are at an advantage working on MINIs.

The recommendation is to change the coolant every 2 years. I wonder if I may let this go for 3 years? I am so greatful that oil changes are easy and I just obtained a pressure bleeder for the brake fluid flush.

Anyone willing to work can easily pay for the needed tools with the labor costs that are saved. If an octogenarian can do it, you could too.:wink:

Now it's time to mow the grass.