1st Gen R53 Cooper S First Post... Tell me about my crank pulley!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jasonixo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jasonixo

jasonixo New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Rifle Builder and Machinist
    Georgia, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone- I just registered on this forum. I've had my MINI since I purchased it at the BMW dealership I used to work at. It's been very reliable and I've just had my first real issue with it.

My 05 Cooper S (106k miles) went into limp mode a few times last week, with an intermittent battery light coming on and the serp belt slipping. I took the pass. wheel and fender liner off and took a close look. I am guessing the crank pulley is coming apart. It is contacting the timing cover and has left some scrape marks. The belt occasionally stops running and I am guessing the pulley hub has parted ways with the outside half of the pulley. Either that, or I am having some sort of catastrophic crankshaft end-play problem. Take a look and let me know what you all think-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the pulley looks intact, the rust-colored strip on the pulley to the right of the belt looks like the freshly-exposed part of the center hub from the pulley flange creeping towards the timing cover. It is difficult to see, but the timing cover has scrape marks in it from the pulley. Also, the timing cover bolt (just out of the bottom of the pic) that is near the pulley has a groove worn in it from the belt.

Jason

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to see until you take it off but with 106K miles I'd say that the rubber in the pulley is starting to come apart and soon will totally fail. Best to nip this in the bud and replace the crank the pulley. There are a few options besides the OEM. In no particular order you can find a solid one from various vendors, the ATI and a fluid filled version from RMW. All have their pros and cons.

Personally I would stay away from the solid ones, there is damping on the crank for a reason. I went with an ATI as it was needed fast and there was one locally to me when I needed it. From my understanding the fluid filled unit is at least equally as capable.

Welcome to M/A too, thanks for joining.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If the belt stops turning you mostly have a bad crank pulley. Not an unusual failure, especially at the mileage.

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #4 k-huevo, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Low cost alternative [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PRW-2510900-FluidGel-Serpentine-2001-2006/dp/B004C0EEQU"]Amazon.com: PRW 2510900 FluidGel Black 138mm Serpentine Standard Drive Pulley Damper for BMW Mini Cooper, 2001-2006 Gen 1, Tritec 1.6L: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IPI%2Bc-9dL.@@AMEPARAM@@51IPI%2Bc-9dL[/ame] , be sure the part# is 2510900 if you do a Google search for pricing; 901 is for the Cooper.

A couple tips for preparing the PRW Fluid Damper, inspect the shaft bore for burs or tool galling, remove scoring if needed. Prepare the leading edges of the pulley bore and crankshaft nose with very fine grit sandpaper, degrease the entire pulley well.

5. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    About 5-6 blocks from my house last Friday, I noticed my AC wasn't working well...

About 3 blocks from my house, I noticed the battery/charge light come on...

As I was pulling in the garage, steam started rising from over-boiling coolant.

How are all of these systems related? They all drive from the crank pulley! I'm at 72k miles and I was wondering when this ticking time-bomb would explode. I pulled the belt off this morning and was able to rotate the outter portion of the crank pulley without the center moving at all! Definately toasted!

Way is shipping one to me quickly. I've already got a write-up on how to replace the belt and that has about 1/2 of the steps already documented, so I hope to have a write-up in the MA library by some time next week.

6. jasonixo

jasonixo New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Georgia, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback on this- The car is actually at my workplace because I was on the way to work when the car started smoking- turns out the belt was rubbing a timing cover bolt. I am going to get either the OEM or fluid dampener- staying away from solid!

Jason

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Personally I like the fluid because of the way it balances through the rev range and you will note the smoothness. But both kinds are better than the OEM.

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We actually sell both the Fluid Damper and the ATI damper, then we also have a custom 2% oversize ATI damper. I can tell you from using both of them that by far the ATI is a superior product in every way. Just looking at them side by side you'll see the ATI machining is a much tighter tolerance, and the press fit where the snout fits is always dead on. But then when you actually do some research on inertia damper like the ATI vs Fluid dampers you will find a lot of research and comparison has been done over the years and the ATI inertia style has proven to be better for actual dampening.

I personally have the ATI on both my race MINI and my daily driver. Also you'll find the RSR race team switched from the fluid damper to the ATI.

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #9 agranger, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Well, my car has been sitting in the garage with the front right corner in the air since I checked the crank pully. Parts arrived, so I pulled the old pulley (a generic 3-prong puller for $18 + three M6x75mm bolts) and reinstalled the ATI pulley. Taking my time it took me 1.5 hour to finish the swap and put everything back together again.

It was cold and wet (well... cold for Dallas) and I kept spinning the wheels every time I tried for a quick start, but the car felt easier to drive... easier to find the clutch engagement point without engine shuddering (which I had noticed as a problem point for a month or so before the failure).

PS: The old pulley fell apart into 2 pieces when it came off.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    How much experience do you have with these?

PRW looks to be a fairly recent company.

11. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Summit racing sells the ATI for a mini for $338, best price I have seen on it.

12. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Note: Your crank pulley should not separate into 2 pieces and should not look like this:

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    How many miles on that bad boy?

14. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #14 agranger, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Almost 6 years and 72k miles on my Daily Driver + 6 track weekends.

When I took the front right wheel off, pulled back the fender liner and removed the belt, I could actually spin the outside ring (where the belt sits) while the crank stayed perfectly still. That's definately a sign of a bad pulley!

I've got to say that it is easier to shift more smoothly... that there is less juttering at the clutch engagement point. I had been noticing something funny for the past month or so there, and I was wondering if I was losing my touch.

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
  16. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the INFO, I'm running a late model (05) new style, guess I'll be doing this again but good for now.
    Next pulley will be a PRW.

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    When I initially read this thread title on my iPhone using FR it said "First Post...Tell me about my crank" :eek6: :lol:

Sorry. Back to the previous train of crank pulley thought...

Fantastic How-To posting, BTW.

18. jasonixo

jasonixo New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Georgia, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info- I just finished making a belt tensioner tool and I rented a puller from Advance Auto Parts. I got the belt off and the crank pulley rim is loose and barely attached. Not I just need to get the pulley bolt off... gonna take a look at the tutorial now.

Jason

19. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    If you have an impact wrench, that center pulley bolt is a snap to remove. If not, you may need to jimmy the wheel so it won't spin like in the pic w/ the ice chopper or you can have someone press on the brake pedal and it will be easier to remove. It's only tightened w/ 85ft-lb, but it has loc-tite blue, so it may be a bit of a challenge to break loose by hand. 15mm bolt.

20. jasonixo

jasonixo New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Georgia, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup! Pulley is in two pieces... Pics tomorrow- Two small grains of gravel are embedded in the pulley ribs, and a 2" piece of a belt rib is missing. I think the small obstruction finished off my ailing pulley. About 10 seconds before all of my problem symptoms occurred, I hit a patch of gravel in the road and peppered the undercarriage.

The aluminum bosses under the pulley did their job and prevented the pulley rim from wearing through the timing cover. I'd say there is a 1/16" deep semi-circle groove in the cover.

I'm surprised there isn't a keyway and key, but no biggie. I need to get a rod of 12mm all-thread tomorrow to finish the job. Should the crankshaft and corresponding pulley surface be oiled or cleaned and degreased? Anyone have a link for pdf of the factory bulletin? I purchased a new oem pulley and belt.

Pics tomorrow!