1st Gen R50 Cooper Florida Group Sues BMW’s MINI for Alleged CVT Transmission Defect

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Nathan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From The Wall Street Journal

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Interesting.... I wonder how this will play out.

BMW/MINI has saved a lot of fuel by using the CVT. When the car parked with a broken CVT it uses no fuel. More brilliant German engineering. :wink:

3. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    The stuff I have read about this is pretty intense.
    Easier to read too, since I know this is one problem my car does not and will not have!

4. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    LMAO!

A lawsuit? Really? :crazy:

5. LowCountry S

LowCountry S Active Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    saw the other thread

everyone is looking for a buck it seems, anyway possible

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Well... I know folks who have had their CVT disintegrate well before its time, due to no fault of their own. Too many people for it to *not* be a "problem". It's one of the too-many "problems" that BMW claims not to be "problems"... just "incidents" as we say in IT.

If I bought a used MINI CVT, and had it grenade, and then found out that this was an endemic problem with that unit, I'd be pretty peeved. Mostly with myself for not doing research first. But I don't pay myself very well for oversights of that nature, and guilt and shame do not pay for a new transmission. So, yeah, then I'd resort to enlisting some scum sucking class action lawyers to help, probably.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I wish those folks good luck. Having one of those boxes of belts & pulleys go pop once out of warranty damn near totals the car. Really sucks & I feel their pain.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Not all torts cases are brought by money grubbing ambulance chasers.
    Sometimes people really do suffer true damages.
    From what I've read about these transmissions there could be justified action against BMW/MINI.
    BMW/MINI is out to make a buck too and they have a formidable legal team to protect their asses(ts.)
    I will be interested in how this plays out.
    Wind-shields are one thing, blown engines are something else.

9. Black n Blue

Black n Blue New Member

May 2, 2012
    Project Manager in Tradeshow Marketing
    Auburn, GA
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Our 2003 had the CVT go twice. Once just outside of warranty by about 500 miles and BMW replaced it free. The second time it went about three years later they wanted $8,000 to have it replaced. So we traded it in on a 2009 which they gave us $6,000 for a trade. Had the CVT been good in that car the trade in would have been around $14,000 so we got screwed by about $8,000 bucks.

It looks like there have been several class actions in several states for this issue. Florida is tagging onto a California one already in progress.

I am trying to figure out how we get involved since our 2003 was purchased in Florida.

Love MINI but can't pass up the chance to maybe get some of get my $8,000 back.