From Jalopnik-Ten Most Inspirational Car Designs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TGS91, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And no E-Type in the bunch??????:frown2:

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Dave,

Paused and thought about it, the XK design was so iconic that I'm hard pressed to see what it inspired in other car designs. It was and is so unique

And my offer stands of coming over to KC and give it a little road time since you are so hard pressed. Not that I would enjoy it or anything...............just a public service mind you

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Whilst I can agree that some of the cars on their list did indeed inspire others..... The whole list goes in the crapper when they included that AMC thing... Don't really think crossovers are the bees knees to begin with, but certainly don't think anyone and I mean anyone built another because of that pile of junk...

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yup.... AMC had several carpy car designs..

Matador
    Pacer
    Gremlin
    Marlin

The only thing that they had of any value was Jeep....

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't care for crossovers either but I can't think of a earlier version of that car type. Piece of crap it was it did create that whole non heavy duty SUV/light off road/crossover that are a pox on our highways today

Saw one a couple weeks back and it looked just as ugly when they first came out

Thought hit me that it is a direct lineage to a Countryman, much improved and far better engineered but a AMC Eagle inspiration nonetheless

7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #7 Steve, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    Even if the Eagle was the earliest production version of that basic car type, that doesn't mean it inspired any that came later. The next person/team to design a pre-crossover-ish vehicle was probably inspired by the same concept that inspired the Eagle rather than by the Eagle as a concept. If so (and I can only hope that's true), though you might be able to say the Eagle represents the first unfortunate iteration of the concept, ask the following designers how much the Eagle itself inspired their designs... :skep:

I think it's more likely that a later and more successful 4/all-wheel drive "car" was more inspirational to the mass growth of such designs.

Some good points on the rest of the list I think, particularly re the Audi Quattro and the Mini.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We had one of those AMC Eagles back in the day for about a week. My dad thought it would be a great idea but once he had a chance to drive it a bit the POS went right back to the dealer.

9. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to tell whether they really meant inspirational or influential.

I would think the big design (and not just evolution) left out is the minivan - if only because it allows yet another Yurp.v.Merka battle:

Was the true inspiration the Yurpeen Renault Espace:

[​IMG]

or the Merkan Caravan/Voyager:

[​IMG]

and are they both just copies of the really influential Italdesign Megagamma - one of the few concept/show cars that can claim to have created a new market segment:

[​IMG]

though you might want to argue that also led to the Nissan Stanza Wagon or Prairie - described by the Espace designer as 'that visual bag of sh*t'.

Attached Files:

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think it could be argued that the E-Type was influential in pretty much all front engined rear drive sports car design that came after it, including the 240Z and many others.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It has been said that the long nose, rear cabin design of the 240 was inspired by the Ferrari Daytona (365 GTB/4). However, that design was penned after the E-Type. So did the E-Type inspire Pininfarina?

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    They could have at least found a AMC with all it's body and trim parts:lol:

Mark

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'll second that. Didn't even think of the minivan.

14. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Mini hands down imo. How many transversally mounted inline 4bangers powering the front wheels have been made since? It wasn't the first FWD car, but it was the first successful mass marketed one. First one to have real racing accomplishments as well. We owe almost every "hot hatch" from the Omni GLH forward to the Mini.

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ^ This.

While the AMC might represent a failed attempt at such a vehicle, one has to have serious doubts that any of the designers of present day crossovers looked upon that hunk and said: "luv it, lets build a modern version!"

Nope, no way, no how.... that'd be like crediting the Pacer for the hot hatch or the mini van... Lol

16. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,718 / 0 / -0
    An AMC Eagle! Really!? Someone at Jalopnik has their head firmly up their butt!
    I think the reason they don't have a photo of one with all of it's trim, is that there aren't any with all of the trim.

The same goes for the Mercedes CLS. It looks like every other "Bar of Soap" on the road!
    It is derivative as hell!

Dave

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Deeper thoughts, how bout the Stingray and forward Corvette?

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Sting Ray was off of the Corvette Mako Shark design study. Larry Shinoda penned that in 1961. That car was used in the TV Series Route 66 and was also put on the GM show circuit.

[​IMG]

19. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #19 minimark, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    As much as the E type and the Corvette deserve their place in history; under the definition of inspirational, neither could be said to have in fact inspired a segment. The front engined rear wheel drive roadster had been done already. They both are fine representatives of that segment though! :)

PS: Before flaming me please understand that I have lusted after a 66-67 E-Type sense my youth and owned for many years a 72 Corvette Sting Ray!!!!

20. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I am surprised that the BMW 3-series didnt get at least an honorable mention.
    It single handedly created the Sport Sedan segment in the car market and everyone has been trying to copy and better it ever since!
    That, IMHO is a pretty big omission.