Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Front Strut Bar

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by racer13, Oct 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. racer13

racer13 New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    student/racer
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    im very interested in a front strut bar does anyone have any suggestions on a certain product? if you please include why, and what makes this one different and/or better from other products.

thanks!!

2. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    What year and model is your car?
    In general I do not think the top strut brace does much unless you get one like the M7 brace that includes strut tower reinforcement plates. Also the top strut brace has to be removed to change the oil filter, if you take the filter out the top (which most people do). The pain of removing the brace to change oil depends on how often you change the oil. I change it frequently so no top strut brace for me.
    Before doing a top strut brace, I would suggest a lower strut brace such as the TSW X-Brace available at Way Motor Works or the Lower Strut Brace available at Mini Madness.

3. racer13

racer13 New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    student/racer
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    are strut tower braces that important?

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Strut tower brace is not important, what can be important is some way to try and prevent the strut tower from mushrooming. There are 2 types of plates, those that only try to stiffen the top of the tower (either from below or on top) and the camber plate. This one will give more neg camber to improve the front tire wear and grip. The camber plates are available in either fixed or adjustable models.

5. racer13

racer13 New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    student/racer
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    so the camber plates also help with the mushrooming effects?

6. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Scott.
    I think Camber Plates are the best handling modification for the MINI.
    - The plates add support to the top of the strut tower to prevent mushrooming.
    - The plates increase negative front camber which the MINI badly needs to reduce understeer.
    - The plates replace the rubber top strut bushing that tends to tear/rip. The fixed plate uses a stronger rubber bushing and the adjustable plate uses a steel bearing.

The fixed plates are about $200 and the adjustable plates about $500. If you do not need adjustability go with the fixed plates and spend the difference on a 19mm rear sway bar.

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    The M7 brace allows for a couple cool things. First, it allows for a great fit with the stock and nearly any aftermarket CAI you choose. Second, it comes apart easily with four allen bolts to allow for easy access to the firewall area when performing regular maintenance. And, lastly, it's reasonably priced and looks cool as hell... Whether you do camber plates or not is a matter of choice. But at least, IMO, go for a component that will add some strength to the strut towers.

Good luck!!! :beer

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup: