Suspension Brakes 1st Gen FSD to OEM damper......?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ScottinBend, Jun 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have the FSD dampers with TSW V1 springs.

I am considering going back to OEM dampers as I am not convinced the FSD are better for the kind of spirited/track driving I like to do.

Any thoughts?

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not really what the FSD is about..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    For spirited driving, Koni adjustables or a good coilovers would be way better than OEM.

4. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been using the stock springs and dampers since new. If your suspension geometry is held in place (camber plates, rear control arms, and front poly bushings) then the stock stuff is more than capable of handling a lot of spirited driving. Plus you won't need a skeleton made of granite to drive the car. Never been to a track though. My car held on very well on the Dragon and in the whole Fontana/Smoky Mountain area. The limiting factor was my 195/60/15 tires, they were spent by the end of the trip too.

So in summary, I do real world spirited driving, and the stock stuff works here. Lowered cars that ride like rocks never do well off of the silky smooth track.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Go back and you'll be happy but....

but I don't know the amount of drop that the TSW spring have. The stock struts don't have a lot of motion, and springs with drop will have you bottoming a whole lot.

Another way to go is to keep your eyes on the various marketplaces to buy some adjustable coil overs from someone doing upgrading/downgrading. You may have to get some springs to match your taste, but you will have a better overall package for the effort.

Matt

ps, my neighbor went from ultra stiff spring/koni struts to stock and loves the change. He kept his stiff sway bars to keep body lean in control. There's a lot to be said for not going too stiff. (Jerry, no comments, please....)

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    FSD's from what I hear simply don't do too well with lowing springs....the valves get beat to heck....so if they don't seem to be riding right..there may be a reason. If you did not change the rear links too, your suspension geometery is out of wack too bu a bit...I like to say say lowing springs are for looks, Coil-overs are for handling.
    If you like spirited driving, I'd go straight (sell the used spings to re-coup some $$) to coil overs, or perhaps a used JCW set up if you can find a low milage set-up.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Zippy,

oh nevermind...........:frown2:

Thanks to everyone else for helping. I have been contemplating the coilovers for some time but cannot justify the expense right now with the way things are.......

8. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, if it's cheap you're after...

just put the stockers back on and see how it goes for you! There's little cost in doing that. And you will know if you like it better or worse than what you were driving before. Nothing like real world testing to know for sure.

And FWIW, I've seen complete sets of springs and struts for the R53 go for about a buck fifty, so it's not a lot of risk or cost to go all the way back to square one.

Actually, when I was having my Ledas rebuilt, I put the stockers back on and while it leaned a lot more in turns, the ride on rough roads was much improved.....

Matt

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I am doing a brake job in a couple of weeks and plan on doing just that. From what I can gather with the minimal drop the TSW springs have the OEM dampers will probably work better than the FSD's with the driving I like to do.

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You'll know soon enough!

And then you can share what you find.....

Matt

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  12. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    This is what my compromise suspension mod is on my R53.
    OEM struts
    TSW V3 springs (lowered ~3/4" in front ~1" in back)
    19mm rear sway

Pretty damn good on track and street, and not expensive. :Thumbsup:

13. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein HD might be the perfect compromise. No first hand experience (for the Mini at least). Good reviews so far though.

- Andrew