2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Fuel Filler Door not locking

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by e46tor56, Nov 10, 2012.

1. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    So...What is the deal with the locking chrome fuel filler door not locking when the car is running? Every time I thru a touchless car wash it is opened by either the high pressure water or the blower. I lock the doors before I enter the wash but it flies open. So I look like a idiot closing it after a car wash because I have to get out and close it.

I find this the most annoying thing with my S. The Justa doesn't have this problem. Does anyone else have the same issue with their S? Is this just a common thing? Maybe I'm being a typical former BMW owner...

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Does it lock when the car is not running?

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yeah it happens with Margi. The way that I keep it from happening is complicated but here goes. Standing outside of the car, lock it with the key fob. Reach in through the open window to open the drivers door. It won't lock with one door open and you must leave the window open to open the driver's door and not unlock the rest of the car. Now get in, start up and go through the car wash. Do not touch the locking switch on the dash as for some reason(thanks BMW computer programmer:mad2::mad5::incazzato::lol:) this unlocks the gas cap. On Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) the gas cap ONLY LOCKS WITH THE KEY FOB. Makes no sense at all. There is a similar problem(computer programmer error) with the window up/down situation but that"s another lecture. Welcome to MINI land, QUIRKY! :crazy::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

4. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yes it does lock when not running.

5. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    #5 e46tor56, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    Never had this issue with my e46. It's annoying just like the boot lid not opening when the car is unlocked but running. grrrr...

Crazy British Quirky...