Exterior 2nd Gen Full amber running lamps project.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Rally, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    It always bothered me that only the top 1/3rd of the light housing lit up when driving around with the running lights on. As someone who disagrees with running fog lights in nice weather, it often left me with a poorly lit light during most driving.

I pulled the housings out and modified them to accept an additional w5w bulb to light up the lower 2/3rds. I hooked them up to the wiring from the arch reflector bulbs that had long since been shaved on my car and now the complete housing lights up amber...reminiscent of the classic minis. The pictures will hopefully shed light on the process for those interested.

Before shot with only partial illumination:
    lights3.jpg lights4.jpg lights2.jpg IMG_1734goodsm.jpg 2011-08-22_16-44-43_725.jpg

After with full illumination:
    lights5.jpg lights6.jpg

2. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I really like the look, so can you still run the driving lights as well?

3. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Are you referring to the fog lights? Yes. The fog light bulbs have no problem overpowering the little w5w bulbs and will light up as well as they did stock.

Alone the w5w's don't really put out any real light pattern....just enough to light up the housing.

I'm running the yellow nokya fogs which are nice and bright when they're on :Thumbsup:

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Amber Fogs And Parking Lights

:drool I just ordered my amber H8 front fog lights and my W5W LED equivalent front amber parking lights. All amber forward except for high and low beams which, of course, remain white. See posts above for representative photos.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #5 Jason Montague, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Amber Fogs And Parking Lights

:cornut:UPDATE(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) The LED amber front parking light bulbs, apparently, don't draw as much current/amps as the incandescent bulbs(194/W5W) and therefore the computer thinks that they are burned out and displays the 'burned out bulb' symbol on the tach. Now I could use the Crashton/Nathan 'Black Tape' cover up method but, then I wouldn't be able to see any 'idiot lights'. Sooooooooooo it's back to incandescent amber front parking light bulbs. However,the H8 PIAA 'Plasma Ion Yellow' incandescent fog lamps are working great and truly don't reflect back like white bulbs do nor do they blind oncoming traffic. At least, no one's flicking their brights at me and 1/2 of them have their fog lamps(50% white/50% yellow/amber) on with their low beams anyway.

Jason