Gas additives

Discussion in 'MINI' started by pre shrunk, Mar 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pre shrunk

pre shrunk New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    N/A
    E. Tn., very near "the snake".
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Some other people will come up with suggestions but, most people around here use Seafome or plain water with the engine running and through the air intake hose at the port for the PCV hose. Thick clouds of white to black smoke exit the exhaust a viola, carbon build up gone. Check our Library for instructions.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Seafoam +1 :Thumbsup:

4. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Techron used here.

I just put in some "TECHRON" about every 5,000 miles. I have 19,000 trouble free miles right now.

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    It sound like snake oil to me, I wouldn't wast my money on it.

The reason you had carbon build up is that your MINI has a direct injection engine, carbon build up is a problem on all direct injection, spark ignition, engines. Because the gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder, there isn't any fuel mist to wash the oil from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system off of the backs of the intake valves. This oil gets cooked onto the intake valves and slowly builds up until it causes run-ability problems and must be mechanically removed.

Seafoam treatment, sprayed directly into the intake manifold, will help, if you start with clean valves, and treat it regularly. It'll remove small amounts of cooked on carbon, but if you already have a large build up, it isn't effective.

The one preventative measure that will work, is the installation of an Oil Catch Can. An OCC will collect the oil and water vapor drawn out of the crank case by the PCV system and prevent the oil from getting to your intake valves.

You must remember to empty your Oil Catch Can periodically, or it will over flow and slug the engine with an emulsified mix of oil and water, this can do significant damage. So check it weekly, especially when the weather is cold.

Dave

6. Person Moved On

Person Moved On New Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    So this brings up two questions

1) Is it a given then that you'll have carbon build up?

2) how hard is installing the catch can and why didn't MINI install one?

(I know that was 3)

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    1) yes

2) don't have one installed, keep up with the seafoam

3) for all the reasons MINI avoids doing the right thing, $
    At the same time I gotta say that if they put in a component that actually needs pretty close management you know someone is not gonna check the OCC and try to have MINI pay for the repairs

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    MINI would rather charge $700 every few years to clean your valves. I think Tim's completely right though, if OCCs came standard and the typical driver had to check it every couple of weeks, the majority never would. Most people have enough trouble remembering when to change their oil. In addition having a component that needs bi-weekly attention would A) scare off some potential owners and B) be a source of ridicule in the automotive industry, that in this day an age a new vehicle would need so much attention

9. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Full time student @ UCSD majoring in PoliSci, and
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jason,
    where is the instruction located in the library. I looked and was unable to find it.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Try here....
    [ame="http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15224"]How-To Seafoam Treatment R55/R56 - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums[/ame]

11. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Because the effectiveness of an OCC is not as clear cut as the posters here indicate.

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Zactly....

Nor is it a given that every car will have carbon buildup on their valves....

It's possible, but not conclusive. My '09 Clubman S has 30K on it, no evidence of carbon fouling in my engine yet....

Those who are championing Seafoam treatments are doing that company a wonderful service in promoting their product, and if they believe it works for them, well more power to 'em.

I remain unconvinced....

However, I do know that there are cars who have and are suffering from carbon buildup, I would like to know the real reason - whether it is truly from oil vapor, or driving habits, poor tolerances in the engine, lousy gasoline, ethanol, infrequent or too frequent oil changes or just what the heck is going on here....

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Virtually every MINI has some form of carbon on there valves,piston domes and combustion chambers. The only exception may be those running water injection post IC or alternative clean burning fuels.
    A simple and inexpensive tool to confirm any carbon question.

Search results for: 'borescope'
    [​IMG]

14. LASRGUY

LASRGUY New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Laser Scientist
    Newbury Park, CA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Finding a location to mount the OCC is not always easy. I had to get a bit creative to find a solution to work with my intake. I posted details on my install here:
    MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - BSH OCC install with DDMworks Race Intake

Installation of a water/methanol injection system is also cited as a great way to keep the intake valves clean. Methanol is a pretty decent solvent. This would require some extra effort maintaining a methanol supply for filling the WMI tank. At least one WMI system supplier advocates simply using -20F windshield washer fluid which is 35% methanol but I'm no expert on this. The cost for these systems isn't any more than the $700 someone mentioned for a carbon deposit cleaning at the dealer.

15. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    My mechanic swears by 44 K at every oil change, and it doesn't make scary smoke come boiling out of you car. Just my .02

16. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The real trick with BG 44K is trying to find it anywhere near me.

I've also stuck with Seafoamin' the R56 S at every oil change.

17. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    #17 CheckersSD, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  18. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Nope, do it before! You want as much performance as you can get.

19. CheckersSD

CheckersSD New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  20. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the suggestion to add a bottle of Techron to your fuel every couple of tanks, or use Chevron gasoline with the additive already in their mixture (my personal choice for years). Having owned a BMW of some sorts for over 30 years my good buddy, a 30+ year veteran mechanic at the local BMW dealership, dropped the Techron idea to me years ago. Also, the suggestion of the OCC is valid as well... Checking it may not need to occur every two weeks as was suggested earlier. Every car will be different... Once you get a feel for your car's internal performance habits, checking the can will become only as frequent as need be. I check mine once a month or greater and find very little residue in the can and even less reason to fret over the routine inspection.

Here's a couple pics of my install on my R53. :beer

Attached Files: