2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Gas gauge has a mind all its own, that's not all?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Jul 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #1 Systemlord, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Hello and happy 4th of July everyone!

Here it goes, today I fill my tank and before I reset the trip gauge I noticed that the computer (estimated) showed I could go 369 miles on that tank of gas. So I drive less than 2 miles and now my gas gauge suddenly drops to half a tank, I noticed that the new recalculated estimate of 369 miles had dropped to 292 miles. If that's not strange enough as I'm driving (remember this happens within 2 miles after gas up) my estimated mileage is 290 miles starts climbing back up to 369 mile till fill up.

If that's not enough when all this is going on I notice that my gas gauge bars get super bright, then appear to dim down, I thought my gas bars were going to explode there so bright!! To make matters worse when I put the UFO style key into the area where it slides in, a couple of times when I go to press "Start" button the dash goes dark until I reinsert the key again then it starts right up.

Just to clear things up, there's nothing wrong with my battery. I haven't been using the physical UFO type remote key into the docking module next to the start button, instead I keep key in pocket and start the car remotely. Since I have been doing that I have had NO startup problems

What's going on here?

YouTube video, second video skip to time index 50 seconds.

[ame="http://youtu.be/sqC6YGsOuks"]Video 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://youtu.be/TrMex3GAo5k"]Video 2[/ame]

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Have you actually tested the battery with a volt meter to ensure that it's okay? Is the battery 3-4yrs old? What year and model of MINI do you have?:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I hate electric problems. They can be a pain to run down. Have you checked all your ground wires?

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    BATTERY

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #5 Systemlord, Jul 5, 2013
    I own a 2007 MCS and the battery tested very healthy this morning before and after startup, the Mini brand battery is brand new as of 2-16-13. Since the issue with starting the car I haven't been inserting the remote into its docking bay to start my car, I have been starting the car without the use of my remote sensor in the docking bay and since then I haven't experienced any issues with starting the car. I have included two YouTube videos on first post that show exactly what's happening, it's quite an eye opener!

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    When the battery was replaced was it coded to the car?

These 2nd gen cars need to have that done to insure charging is accomplished properly.

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    This issue started about a month and a half ago with the fuel gauge, the startup issue just started happening. I never heard of this before, code a car for a battery replacement? :eek6:

I have no way of knowing if my Mini was coded or not, there's just no way to find that out. It shows that the battery was replaced, other than that I don't know what to say...

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry I can't help but I wish you good luck with your 2 Gen battery problem.

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #9 Systemlord, Jul 5, 2013
    I have been doing a lot of searches and may have found the issue, tell me what you think. It seems that when your almost empty on your gas tank the bars are supposed to glow brightly to get your attention when you are running super low on gas.

After going 95 miles today I decided to fill my tank back up today and my gas light has returned to normal. Could a faulty sending unit cause the lights to glow brightly to get my attention that I'm very low on gas?

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I wish that I had the answer but you're over my head. Reading your posts though, has the problem fixed itself?:Thumbsup:

Jason

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    It seems my gas gauge does this everytime I fill my tank up, the first 50-100 miles. It always corrects itself soon after, strange that this only happens on filling up my tank. It's been very consistently over the last six gas ups, does it every time now. My GF and I laugh every time now when we gas up!