1st Gen R50 Cooper Gearbox failure

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by rkw, Jan 10, 2015.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    2006 Justa R52 convertible, 83K miles, 5-spd manual

Last night on the way home, traffic backed up at a highway interchange. I tried to downshift, but from neutral I couldn't shift into any gear. While coasting down the ramp in stop-and-go traffic, I managed to find a gear and keep going (with the thought that I might have to pull over). Out of the interchange, shifting was difficult but I was able to continue towards home on the freeway. While in gear, it was driveable but the transmission made a high pitched whine. If I tried to shift, it was difficult to go from neutral into any gear.

At my exit in San Francisco, the same thing happened again. Tried to downshift and got stuck in neutral and could not get back into any gear. While coasting down the exit ramp in traffic towards a stop light, I found 1st gear and started driving on the street with only 1st gear and no shifting, for fear I wouldn't be able to get out of neutral. It felt unsafe and iffy whether I could make it home. Meanwhile I was near the dealer and I decided to drive there and check it in at their night drop and leave it there. I haven't heard back yet.

Today I remembered something that might be related. A week ago, there was an odd incident where during a trip on the freeway, the back of the car became covered with oil. My first thought was that I had driven over a section of highway with spilled oil, but it was odd that the oil was only on the rear of the car and not splashed on the sides. It had occurred to me at the time that it might be caused by oil leaking from my own car. I did check the motor oil (which was at a normal level) but I didn't think to check the transmission oil.

At this point, I'm anticipating that the transmission will need to be replaced. How many hours of labor does that involve? I need to consider my options -- letting the dealer repair it, towing it to my regular shop, or cutting my losses and moving on. The last couple of years have been difficult with this MINI.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Clutch slave cyclinder less than a $100 bucks.

I had the same issue before. I had my master cyclinder and slave replaced the same time at the dealership because they are a SOB to bleed correctly for the DIY shady tree mechanic. Leave that job to the pros.

3. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    If it's really the transmission, then a little bit more than the labor for a clutch job
    (probably $800-$1200 most places, up to twice that at the dealer). Then there's
    the cost of the transmission, and probably might as well do the clutch and engine
    seal while it's apart.
    Could be other things though, shifter cables, clutch hydraulics, etc.

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I've had some whiney gear noise for years that was steadily getting worse over time, and I wouldn't be surprised it's more than a clutch cylinder issue. Anybody have thoughts on what I said about the oil?

When I got home today, there was a message from the dealer (too late to call them back). They're asking if I would authorize them to do a teardown diagnostic, including dropping the transmission. Hopefully (although I wouldn't put it past them) they already checked whether the clutch cylinder was the problem.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Jack up your MINI & drain the gearbox oil. See how much oil comes out & run a magnet through it to see how much metal is there. My guess is you won't get much oil out & it will have metal in it. I hope I'm wrong & it's an easy fix.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

His car is already at the dealership......

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Then the highly paid Tech should do that. Being the dealer they will just add a new tran$mi$$ion without checking it. At least that is how my local dealer deals with things.

8. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yup...
    Dealers are parts changers...not repair places....
    Mostly due to two things IMO...high overhead (so they must get cars in and out asap), and the fact most dealer mechanics are realitive newbies, having just been trained in one make after having graduated from a tech school....

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Get ready for a $5500+ bill....
    Any shop that can do a MINI clutch could swap a used trany for ya...maybe $1000 labour, and another $1000 for a used one....

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup when I went to the dealer for my failed slave cyclinder I had them replace my master also. I told them what I wanted done and nothing else.

They were like "sir that may not be the problem and we may have to take out the trans"
    I told them I know what I am talking about and if you pull the Trans after I said not to you will be replacing it with a new one for free.

My problem was just a bad slave and I had them do the master at the same time as basic maintenance and the whole job only cost just about $250 including parts.

Oh and they called me about my rear control areas being loose and needed to be replaced, I told them look again they are adjustable control arms with heim joints you geniuses. Don't touch the suspension just replace what I told you too. GFD :mad5:

11. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me when I had Nissan Xterra that stop/started so I looked online and found the problem was a faulty fuel pump connector, so I checked the pump connector and saw some smoke. I called around and found a pump for $120 but the dealer said I had to bring the car in for them to check. I said i just want the pump, they insisted they should fit it. anyway I had to call 3 dealers before one of them would just sell me the pump. I told them this was the problem, I said I found out online. They said you can't learn something online you need a factory expert! So I bought the pump and after 20mins the Xterra was running. Dealer 0 Chris 1 LOL

Good luck with the gearbox.

12. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I told the dealer to hold off on the teardown and do the slave/master cylinders first. They won't get to it for a couple of days (they are always busy -- appointments filled up 2 weeks out). FWIW, service advisor said transmission swap is very rare for them and it's more likely a clutch issue.

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I wish you good luck. :fingerscrossed:

14. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    With this being a 2006 the box is not the Jolly Midlands. In July 2004 Mini swapped to the Ford KA box. Which although not the best is much more reliable than the Midlands. So based on that I would figure the clutch slave or master cylinder. Could the oil on the rear be brake fluid from the slave cylinder? or even power steering fluid froma leaking hose.

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    They put it on a lift and found a quarter size hole in the transmission housing. Transmission is done for. Weighing my options now. This might be the end of my MINI adventure. It was a pretty good run for the first 7 years until major things started failing.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Important question. Was the hole caused by something on the road? If so I'd be talking with my insurance company about this.

17. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #17 rkw, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    I'll check with them. I'd also have to check my insurance policy.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Holy crap, good luck with insurance co.

19. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #19 rkw, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Update:
    Thank you Crashton!
    The dealer says that it does look like it was caused by an impact with an object on the road. My insurance says that it will be handled as a collision claim.

A claims adjuster will look at it on Tuesday. I think the main question now is whether the car will be totaled. I'm glad that my policy includes rental coverage. The MINI was a daily driver and the only car in the household.

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Chuck..... You da man....:Thumbsup: