Google Voice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Jul 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Anyone use this? I received an invite this evening and reserved a number. Looking to hear about experiences if you are a user.

2. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My friend just got it, and I just signed up a few days ago. Seems like it could have some cool uses, like a "craigslist" number, or a virtual work number for a freelancer, etc. It's nice to get a local number (at least I did) and pick your digits too. I know you can screen calls, and get voicemail transcripts. Haven't actually had a use for my number yet, but wanted to get in on it all the same.

3. MaxN

MaxN New Member

May 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been using it for a few weeks.

I would not be without it.

I currently do not have my own cell phone as i threw my BB out of the window (somewhere in Texas at 80mph) and I left my iPhone in a hotel (in New Mexico) and when I went back for it........

So I am borrowing a company one at the moment while i consider my options.

I give out my GV number.

Then the fun stuff happens.

If you (or anyone) calls that number GV will deal with the call based on a bunch of rules - if you are not in my contact list (for instance) the default behavior is for you to be screened, you get a message requesting that you introduce yourself. Once you have done this I get a call asking if I want to speak to you :) if I decline you are shuffled to voice mail, otherwise the connection is made.

If you ARE in my contacts, I can decide that I only want to speak with you on certain hours - outside of those hours you go to VM

Otherwise I can decide what to do, I can program GV to call both my office and cell number (at the same time) and whichever one I pickup handles the call. This is uber cool. I can also easily and seamlessly transfer the call between my phones. I press a couple of keys, my other phone rings, when I answer the connection is made and you are none the wiser.

Oh and voice-to-text. GV will send me an e-mail of my voicemails, or a txt message ! This is brilliant if you want to find out what the call was about, but you do not want to, or are unable to, call your VM.

Text messaging works too - it forwards and hides your real phone number :)

and also you can send/receive sms's from the web site,

It really is incredible and getting better.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    So who is going to send me an invite for this wonderful technology?

5. MaxN

MaxN New Member

May 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just go to voice.google.com and request an invite - you should have one within a couple of days......

6. MaxN

MaxN New Member

May 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh and did I mention I can listen in on voicemails too and opt to 'pick up'.....

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    as soon as they enable LNP, I'm in. My wife used GrandCentral for awhile and liked it so this bodes well once you can move your existing # over. I've had the same cell# since 1997 so I'm not looking to change to a new TN at this point.