Got my raise at work today.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Apok, Jan 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    $300. Are you kidding me? That works out to about $12.50 per paycheck before taxes.
    This feels like a slap in the face instead of a raise. I have been with this company for 9 years and in light of my contributions, experience and hard work, this is what I get? Insulted?
    It certainty does not motivate me to work hard or do anything extra. I def need to start looking for a new job and get away from this place. The environment is nothing close to positive and is so damn restrictive.

I am so glad I refuse to do business with this company.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    WOW that just sucks.

Did you tell them you will try and not spend it all at once at Lunch.

3. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    I just looked at my boss and said that's it?

Just solidified that I will not be staying at this company much longer if I have any choice in the matter. Sadly I cannot just tell them where to stick the job and walk out.

So if anyone here in Columbus knows of any place hiring, I'm lookin for a new job.

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Be glad you got a raise. Some places aren't. You have to look at raises by percentage. What percent raise did you get? If it was in the 2-4% area that is actually a pretty good raise in this day and age at most places, as far as just a yearly thing. Not moving up and or into a different area etc... School systems in NC haven't had raises in 4-6 years.. So they are actually going in the hole as prices go up each year.. I know it doesn't make you feel any better but like you said maybe it is time to look elsewhere..
    Like you I've been where I'm at for 9 years. Company ( our plant alone ) grosses roughly 16-20 Million dollars a year and us on the production don't get a raises every year and the past couple it has been around 1.5-2.5%

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good luck in your new job search.

6. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    That $300 would be less than 1%. This was the worst raise I have gotten here in 9 years. Even worse than when I had a boss that despised me because I questioned her methods and reasoning in front of people constantly, she wasn't qualified to do her job, and she would give shiat raises. And those were better, ugh. I have always hated working for Chase.

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Might find something better. We get comfortable, and it takes something like this to get us going sometimes.

8. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I work in a hospital and on top of the overworked, underpaid and shorthanded conditions I have to deal with Doctors who are motivated by greed and could really care less about the patients now a days. Medicare fraud is all over and it is alive and well. Our health care system in the USA is broken and Obama is not helping it at all. I thought getting in to the Medical field was a smart choice years ago, now I wish I still painted houses.

9. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    Meanwhile, Chase stock is up nearly 50% last year. You can see where their priorities are when it comes to employee satisfaction vs. shareholder value. What was that famous quote from Gordon Grekko?

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The days of a company wanting an employee to advance, stay with the company and retire with a gold watch are over. Even the military, which use to be a secure bet, is doing the same thing. They dump folks around the 16 year mark and bring in a new private. Sadly, it is the way of the world now days, which is why I am so glad I am old and missed all this. :D

11. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Is this a consistent trend with raises at your work? I've had a couple of years like that (no raises and no bonuses) and it can make it hard to keep motivated. What do you mean that the environment is restrictive?

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #12 Metalman, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    ^^^ Not everywhere Justa Jim....
    My employees don't leave.....
    Longest term has been with me for 34 years..... Shortest term 16 years (latest hire)...
    I provide health care.... average pay raise $1,500 - $2,000/employee.... Plus year end bonus for everyone.... Even during lean years....
    Company is still run by the original family that started it in 1885...:D

Simple business philosophy...
    Customer: Make a good product.... Quickly... At a fair price...
    Employee: Treat your workers like good tools.... Keep em oiled and in good working condition.....
    Suppliers: Pay your bills on time...

I'm guessing my business is the oldest family run business still operating here in Columbus.... Pretty sure about this... At least one of the oldest:Thumbsup:

Got this sitting at the reception desk....

[​IMG]

028.JPG

Ummmmm..... I don't have one of these parachutes if I get canned either.... http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/17/technology/yahoo-golden-parachute/

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    That's good to here. It places like your business that get my money!

14. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Though they say they want us to succeed, if you can actually get a promotion they try to make you take it on as a lateral promotion. So you get all the new responsibilities, increased workload and such, but no additional compensation. That's if you can even get out of the department you are in. Nine times out of ten you manager will actively sabotage you when you are going for another job because they don't want to lose you. Its kind of a viscous cycle. We don't even get the option of a bonus. As I said, there is absolutely 0 motivation to work harder.

15. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    That is the same philosiphy us workers have but we can't make the employers feel the same.. Granted it is much easier for a smaller company ( number of employees ) to have that thinking becasue you get to know them all better then a company that has 100's of people doing this that and the other. The powers that be haven't even met some of their employees that have been here for years.. There are good companies out there like yours that "gets it" the you take care of me and I'll take care of you thinking. Worked well for years. Now it is all about the rich getting richer and the production people be damned. ( teller, floor guy, etc etc ) I understand that every employee can't make 50, 60, 80 thousand dollars, there has to be the entry level position, but look at say a Wells Fargo Bank. The president is making 15 million or more a year, plus expenses, stocks, bonus etc. and the people at the local branches are between $25,000 teller, maybe $50,000 for a loan officer.. What can that president possibly be doing to earn that kind of money.. Another example is the furniture industry. Lexington NC, used to be a big player in that area. Now they have all shipped it to china to be made and then shipped back. This somehow saves them money, yet it is not passed on to us the comsumer, they the office folks at headquarters just get to keep their jobs while all the production people are in the unemployement line.. This is why they say in the near future there will be no middle class, there will be those at or around the poverty level as it raises up some, and the rich..

16. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    MM is doing what larger companies use to do and it is paying off for him and his company. Employees are expendable, profits in the owners pocket, are all that is important. Of course MM is of the older generation. A good wage, for a good job and a reasonable profit.

Good job MM. :Thumbsup:

17. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I haven't got a raise in 13 years. But then I'd have to get paid to get a raise.

Kidding aside a raise of less than 1% is insulting. It would have been less so to not have given one at all.

I have about 150 clients most of them haven't given raises in recent years. They are putting their money into keeping the business moving forward or at least not backward.

18. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. If I leave, they will maybe eventually hire someone in at less than I am making and expect them to do more work than I do. They view us a completely expendable and despite what they say to us, they make it very very clear that they don't give a crap about us.

19. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    If you have a job that you don't like, the sooner you get out the better. The longer you stay in a job you dislike the greater the odds that you will get locked into that job because you won't be able to find a job in a different career that pays as well or provides the benefits you enjoy. The longer you stay, the more likely you are not to leave. Ask me how I know.

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My father always told me; "The best time to look for a new job is while you have a job."