2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Got rear-ended, Help!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by borv, Dec 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know what type of suspension/axle a 2011 mini cooper s has?

I got a really got hit from the rear, and I'm concerned that the real axle will never been true and won't ever align properly.

Also worried about the chassis/body being damaged. The insurance and body shop tell me that the repairs will cost about $15k and the car's value is $26 so they cannot total it. Calling the dealer, the car's value is actually closer to 20-21k and now with the hit, much lower.

Just trying to get any tips on how I can total the car, or if a hit like this is not that bad. I'll try and get more photos.

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Damn that sucks!

Just get it fixed and trade it ASAP.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That sucks for sure.

First thing find out who is the best shop in your area & use them. Do not let the insurance company point you to one of their shops. I'm sure your MINI can be fixed so it is fine. Just find the best shop. You will also want the insurance company to pay you the amount your MINI has been de-valued by the accident.

Good luck...

4. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Definitely hit them up for the devalued amount. We got a decent check for it when my wife's 3 week old clubman got hit as it will be a big factor when you sell/trade it.

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Get the revalued amount and then trade it before the record hits Carfax.

6. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is a lease. I live in NY so I think the insurance companies in NY state don't have to pay out the devalued amount :(. I'm trying to find out if I can have the insurance total it for a lower price and have GAP insurance cover the rest? Has anyone gone this route?

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    If it's a lease you need to read your lease documents closely. Some leases require purchase of the vehicle if it is involved in a major accident in leiu of being able to turn it in at lease end.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ^^^this

:Thumbsup:

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Your pictures don't show that much damage.....without more info it's hard to tell, but I don't see where the "axle" as you put it would be damaged. MINIs are front drive, so all the expensive drivetrain parts are in the front....

If you get it to the right body shop, you'll never know it was worked on, and at the end of the lease simply turn it in and get another....

10. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Most importantly, are YOU ok? Everything else is plastic, rubber, metal and glass, and can be fixed. Remember "If it can be fixed with money, it's generally not that big a problem."

The Mini may actually be OK - you've folded the wheel under, but it appears (from little web photos) that the door opens and shuts and aligns OK, which is huge. COuld be you just busted a lower control arm or something under there - while the unibody took a good whack, the metal can be repaired/replaced and aligned. A good bodyshop will be cutting out the old, and welding in new factory body/chassis panels, undercoating, etc. and you should actually be fine. It'll take some time, and you'll be putting miles on somebody else's rental car, which may actually help in your lease mileage - yes, it may not be a Mini Coioper, but it'll get you around.

Do check your lease documents, though.

Hope you're OK.

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Most body shops these days have a device that can work with unibody cars and twist them mostly back in shape if they're out. Looking at those photos it appears to my untrained eye that you shouldn't have to worry too much about that anyway - the belt looks relatively normal, and the door doesn't look like it's not closing. Of course, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay over here, so I could very well be wrong. Other than that, the other guys have given all the best advice already.

I'd also ask your local MINI dealer what body shop they use, and go there.

12. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response. I actually did suffer a mild concussion, so I haven't been able to drive for the past couple of weeks because I still have dizzy spells. Should be OK soon though hopefully, per the doc.