Got the Mini today!! Need help getting it started!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Tummi_Gummi, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    So I came here a week or so ago mentioning I had a deal that was in the negotiation process and it settled. I am sure everyone wants to know what the deal was so I dont mind telling I paid 4,000$ for my 02 mini cooper S.
    It doesn't start though. I know the guy who owned it fairly well for a couple years and he said one of his sons friends borrowed it for a night and since it hasn't started. The dash and everything lights up like it's supposed to but there are no sounds at all of any starter or relays when the key is turned to the starter position. I think it could be the clutch switch. Is there anything else that would do this? I recorded a video of the car and what it does then went around showing everything in it and the fault points. It is missing some things and some things are broken. These issues will be addressed.

Here is the youtube link. Let me know if anything looks out of the ordinary. I think it was missing a couple of fuses upfront under the hood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byeObprVII]VIDEO0024 - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some things needing addressed that I have down so far other than getting it to start. If you know of any of these parts for sale somewhere cheap or from another member even if its used in good shape it will do. Just let me know anything you can tell me to help me out cause some of the stuff I don't even know what it is or what is called. And like the visor lights are messed up I am sure that can be fixed. I will do a full tune up once it starts all fluid swaps and clean down everything in the engine bay. Some things aren't even bolted in. It shifts through all 7 gears just fine too

INSIDE
    Driver door handle bezel
    ceiling has a piece missing
    radio
    ceiling light
    Pedals
    Floor Mats
    Shift knob and boot
    E-brake boot

OUTSIDE
    S-side marker badges
    Mini Logo on rear hatch
    Front left hazard/running light(in the middle between fog and headlight)
    Front left fog light

Mechanical
    New brakes all around
    Bulbs all around - headlights and brights as well as fog lights
    Intake box or just aftermarket intake

Thank you guys

2. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    #2 Tummi_Gummi, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    The lights are all screwy too. I don't understand what is going on with them. I have never seen a car where when the key is out of the ignition and you press the brakes that the brake lights still don't light up. This car is doing that. Half the lights work and half of them don't. For instance the front left bright works where the front right headlight works. I checked the polarities of the wires on both headlights and the main 3 wire harness coming in on the driver side(one with the working bright) the green/white wire is +12v and the other 2 wires are grounds.. Then the passenger headlight(working lowbeam) the green/yellow wire is 12v and the other 2 are grounds...

The taillights are messed up too. The taillight running light on the passenger side works just fine but the drive doesnt. I swapped the light boards leaving the bulbs alone and they both light up fine(while plugged into the passenger side) then I try both in the driver side and neither lights up.

Both fog lights work fine thankfully. I found a little bulb beside what I think is the driver turn signal(between the headlight housing and foglight) and this little clear bulb just had a socket with no connector i found the wires for this socket and they were cut and just tied together... Uh I know that can't be right.

The side marker light beside the passenger wheel and in front of it(the real long skinny one that curves with the wheel well) works fine and then the driver one doesn't. This really has me worried with these lights all working like this. Only one of every pair of lights working. That can't be good.

Here are the CEL codes I have
    P0420
    P1692

I also have the EML light on.

3. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    #3 minsanity, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Start w/ checking battery, fuses, ground connections, clutch switch, starter, all fluids. Try push starting before you dig deeper.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. I am curious though since I am unfamiliar with this car but would any low fluid levels anywhere cause the car to not engage the starter? I noticed the power steering fluid was low but that was the only place I looked. The car doesnt even attempt to turn over and I don't hear a fuel pump but people have wrote on other forums/threads that it isnt so easy to hear.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Start with the battery, these cars are notorious for doing screwy things when there is low or no voltage.

6. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Battery, usual suspect. Before turning, make sure you've engine oil, coolant in the system, of course. Check pump relay, fuse if your batt is good & you don't hear it priming. It's audible. Hope you could sort it out soon.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    The MINI break lights do not come on if the key is not in the ignition. So that part is normal. Minis and BMW can act screwy if you have a bad battery.
    Just a thought, does the car have water damage?

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I had not watched the video when I posted, sorry.
    As far as the car not turning over. That is the way they act if you don't push in the clutch. check the clutch position switch, its on the clutch master cylinder under the dash. try unplugging it and check the condition of the plug and plug it back in. You may get lucky. Also if you suspect the clutch switch try pushing it off and see if it stars. Use second gear never revers. only do this after you check the battery and all connections.

Heat gun and goo gone for the invisobra on the roof. just don't burn the paint.

The black trim by the front window usually gets broken when you have a new windshield installed. If your replacing your windshield replace them at that time.

I would climb under the car and check the power steering pump fan. If it does not spin freely I would replace it.

One last thing. I would replace all the fluids. The power steering tank has a filter built into it so I would get a new one. This is the same on BMW. the last one I got was about $20

Good luck

9. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thank you everyone. I was anxious to log on and very thrilled when I saw all the replies. You guys rock! I am going to go to oriellys and get some stuff to start on this today. I noticed the negative terminal spun freely as well. So what I will do first is replace the rear negative terminal clamp and then try to jump start her. If that doesn't work then I will try and do the clutch plug removal and reinstall to see if its gummed up or something. Then go ahead and try with a magnet near it in different spots all around to try to get it to start. If still no luck I will literally pull every fuses one by one checking for any bad ones. Again you guys are awesome and I appreciate it! Have a wonderful and safe thanksgiving everyone!

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The clutch switch or rather the connector would be first place I checked....because the first day I drove my brand new 06 S to work, I must have hit it with my big clumsily foot because I knock the plug and it disconnected and would not start! Needless to say I called the dealer and had it towed in on the first day! They found it but would have been nice if someone there could have told me where to look over the phone.

Good luck.

11. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I pulled every fuse all checked out fine. Then I added 2 50 amp fuses to the front box in the engine bay. And that seemed to fix the lights. they work perfect now. I can turn the lights on with the column switch while the key is out of the ignition too now. I replaced the ground terminal post on the battery with a new one that I could tighten down cause the one that was factory was loose and I could spin it around.

So now that the lights are fixed I am concentrating on the starter. I tried jump starting the car and I metered the battery at 12volts. I played around with a magnet on the clutch switch cause I read somewhere that this could work. Still no luck. I don't even hear a fuel pump or nothing when I turn the key from the on position to the starting position so I think the ignition is bad. Now if I buy a new ignition it won't work with my factory key? Will I need another key too? And do the keys have a chip or anything that needs programmed? I guess the only thing that needs programmed is the keyless lock system. I don't have a push to start or anything like that.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I believe to buy a new ignition you have to take your registration and I.D. to the dealer to order it and it will come programed. Not 100% on it though.
    I dont believe it is the ignition though. Watching the video of you trying to start your Mini is exactly the way my 02 S acts if you don't push the clutch all the way in.
    The magnet may work I have not heard that one.

It could be a damaged key if you have another key try it. It doesn't happen often but I have heard of people dropping their key causing damage to the circuit.

it could also be the electronic immobilizer system has a problem.

The reason I suggested pushing it off is If its the clutch switch it will start. If its the Electronic immobilizer or a damaged key it will not start.

Maybe one of the other guys that know more then me will have a better answer.
    Let us know what happens
    :confused:

13. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Well I took apart the steering column and metered the ignition and there is a dead signal from blue/black striped wire until you are turning the car over like it's sending ignition signal to something so the ignition is working cause it is sending that 12v out only when actually trying to start the car. if it is just in the run position this wire is dead.

I also metered the clutch switch and get 12v on the blue wire when I press the clutch in and when I let off it goes back to no signal.

Now I have the car up on jacks and am going to meter the starter. I am beginning to wonder if it isn't actually the starter solenoid or wiring in between. Maybe even a ground or something like someone said. Step by step though it's coming along great. I am super happy that the rest of the electrical is going great as far as the lights and dash and ect.

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Keep the faith and don't give up. MINI's are so worth the effort. But they do have weird electrics.

15. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I am removing the exhaust manifold to get the starter out. Is this the proper procedure? It was that or remove the axle on the passenger side. This car is very very cramped

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    yes it is

17. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    How long did the car sit with a dead battery?
    Kinda suspect the imoblizer is toast. The car MUST read it on the key to allow a start.
    Key look ok? Any water dammage? Battery in the trunk has TWO postive leads...one to the starter is unfuzed, but has a airbag like charge on it to disconnect it is there is an accident....corrosion can cause an issue...as can the long cable runs with chafing....so i would look at them and test the starter and its grounds......
    I would be inclined too look for water dammage....sounds knda like a water/corosion issue with the lights...maybe wiring harness..200,000 is lots of miles on a gen1 S....if i recall right the clutch switch is a "halls postion" switch....so no easy test with a voltmeter.

18. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Well before I dropped the starter out I jumped the starter + leads together and the starter spun freely. Also the starter side wouldn't pick up voltage like the solenoid was bad. I even jumped the starter directly with another battery to bypass the wiring and make sure it wasnt a bad connection or low voltage. Same problem. It just spun and did not engage. I am going to replace the starter tomorrow afternoon after oriellys closes. Let's just hope I can get around with all the bf sales going on. :S

19. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0

Yeah but I fixed the lights and even if the clutch switch was bad by me hot wiring the constant 12v at the starter solenoid to the starter it should of started right?

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    You may be on the right track. But I didn't suspect the starter because in your video the lights did not dim or change at all when you moved the key to the start position.
    The Bentley manual states that if the starter fails to operate it is the EWS system(immobilizer) key or the clutch switch.
    Just have them test your starter before you spend your money.
    Have you checked to see if its giving a code? Also it sounded like this problem started suddenly after the son used the car is this correct?

It sounds like you know what your doing. Sorry not to be of more help. I hate this type of problem.

Good luck