1st Gen GP GP as a daily driver?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by versus, Jun 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Just cruising the interwebz and I've come across a lot of GP "for sale" posts (considering their numbers) and I got to thinking about the feasibility of a GP as a daily driver. I know a lot of people tend to break out GP's only on weekends or on particularly sunny days.

What say ye?:cornut:

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    why not? its just a car.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So long as a two seater suits your needs why not?

4. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for chiming in. Guys I was under the impression that with it's suspension and other amenities vs. an S I'd be taking some hits in the function department. But hey, with a GP I guess I wouldn't truly have to worry about the mod bug that much:D:rolleyes:

5. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    its still an OEM suspension, made by Valeo. Same as you can buy over the counter for the normal Cooper S. Its loud due to the lack of a back seat and sound dampener mats, but its not uncomfortable. There used to be a daily driven GP around the corner from me....on Cross coilovers. I also had the same on my MCS.

6. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My GP0203 was a daily driver for a couple years - but I hated it getting so dirty/etc in the New England winter, so now she stays "down south" and I only get to drive her rarely.

No issues with daily driving, no more so than any MINI (a little noisy on the highway!), so long as you don't need more than two seats!

7. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    What took you so long? lol. :Thumbsup:

I blame you and MOTD 8 for my recent R53 investigations.

8. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :confused5:

9. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Jarid at Alta DD's his or his justa. Usually the GP though. :Thumbsup:

10. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Nothing wrong with dd ing a GP they are awesome cars, pft the mod bug hits no matter what. but buy one its diffrent.
    Just make sure its what you want.

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I have used my GP as a daily driver for about 3.5 years. I have about 50,000 miles on the car. The GP can be a little rough riding but is a nice setup. The JCW suspension is a little stiffer than the H&R springs/stock shocks that I had on my 03 MCS plus the GP is a little lighter than the 03 which I think makes it a little rougher riding. It is a little noiser inside the car without the rear seat or rear insulation. The Borla Sport exhaust that was OK on my 03 had a little too much drone in the GP. I now have a Milltek exhaust. No rear seat is really nice for hauling stuff in the back. I also removed the styrofoam under the rear flat panel and can store tools/stuff under the panel. I do sometimes miss the rear seat but I also have a Suburban for hauling people.

I have made various mods to the GP, I cannot leave any car stock.