GPH 1C Mini Cooper S For Sale

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Nathan, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

It was the star of the show at racing events across the world.

This GPH 1C Mini Cooper S became one of the most famous motors in the Cooper Car Company racing team in the 1960s, along with the GPH 2C and 3C.
    Now it has been valued at a whopping £100,000 and could be one of the most expensive minis in the world.

It was driven by the likes of John Rhodes, a British Saloon Car Champion from Wolverhampton, and former rally driver Paddy Hopkirk, who raced it at Sebring International Raceway in Florida in 1967.

The car was also used by former British auto racing driver Warwick Banks.
    It is one of the earliest Mini Cooper S cars ever to have been built. British Motor Corporation workers produced the vehicle at Longbridge in December 1964. The very first Mini Cooper S models had been created a year earlier.
    Owner, Worlds Apart singer Cal Cooper, is planning to show off his his prized car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this June and to sell it at the Goodwood Revival in September.

Cal’s band, which had hits across the world, including France, Thailand and China in the 1990s, and has just completed a six month tour, is also due to play at Goodwood in September.

The 39 year-old, of Alcester, Warwickshire, said: “I loved it because of its connections to Birmingham. Its iconic design has been copied around the world.

“I was built in the 1960s which was a brilliant time for Britain. The Beatles were great.

“It was all happening on Carnaby Street in London and we won the World Cup.
    “The previous owner had it from 1967 to 1986. Before that it was owned by the John Cooper racing car team.

“I had my eye on it for a while and bought it after a bizarre sales negotiation which included a 1959 Gibson guitar.

“Outside of the Monte Carlo Rally winning cars, GPH 1C is one of the most pubicised cars in the world and is known as GRAPHIC.

“It is instantly recognisable and the styling is much copied by Mini enthusiasts around the world.

“It’s been through some interesting scrapes over the years.

“A large lady sat on the bonnet, which is made of aluminium, a couple of years back.

“It cost £1,000 to repair!

“I previously owned a Ferrari, but I got much more attention from driving this Mini than I ever did in that.

“When I first bought it I spent more than £20,000 restoring it meticulously at an expert’s garage.

“I employed experts and ensured only original old parts were used. I’ve been told I should get at least £100,000 for it.

“Since I’ve had the car it has been booked out to appear at shows across the world.

“Rover hired it from me in 1998.

“It was used to inspire a limited idition of the Mini Cooper S produced by the company in that year and was featured extensively in their publicity material
    “It’s travelled to Frankfurt and Essen in Germany. It’s been seen in Tokyo and all the way acoss the Far East.

“I’m sad to sell it, but it’s time to let it go.â€

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

Jason

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like he took good care of it and drove it. Let's hope that some wanker doesn't by it and it never gets driven again.....

4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I just read that story. Pretty darn cool. History on wheels and still being used. As it was intended!

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    What a beauty. Funny timing, as I'm newly in the market for a Classic. But, reasonably speaking, a 20K# investment during restoration and an insurance policy 5x that, equates to a dump load in US currency.

With a 15K investment ceiling, I'll just gawk and drool too. :drool