Group 4 Autosport Dragon Debrief

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by track-toy, May 10, 2010.

1. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, we had a great Dragon 2010. Our launch went well and we learned a lot.

Here are some things we are working on...

• R53s are a big part of the market. We brought mostly R56 parts
    • Installs take more time than we thought, we'll work on that
    • For R53s we need to cater to modified cars, especially exhaust systems
    • We also learned from web posts that people thought our splitters were made from plastic. We use space-age composite material - lighter and stronger than CF

Work is progressing on filling some of the voids we found in our market strategy. As of right now, our R53 JCW wing conversion is in our fiberglass shop. This will result in a 2nd, adjustable downforce element being added. This will debut in early June as a prototype, probably at the Cleveland, OH British Pub meet. (4th Annual Pub MINI Meet - Cleveland, OH (June 5, 2010) - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums)

Also, R53 diffusers are receiving attention to allow installation on cars with modified exhaust systems.

Bear in mind that our policy is to track test all our components, so delivery to customers is dependent on that process.

2. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see we have a seperate thread now. Can't wait to see all the goodies when your site comes up. Going too see Joel this weekend for a little R&D on my GP. :smilewinkgrin: Exhaust and diffuser will get a look see.

3. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was curious how the diffuser would work with the variety of exhausts out and available.

4. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right now we have the following diffusers designed and built:

• R56 Cooper S standard exhaust setup with different fin arrangements (street, track, and race)
    • R55 Clubman S
    • R53 Cooper S

The R53s tend to be more modified so we are working on a solution for those. Most people seem to have opted for a single muffler (passenger side) and central exhausts.

5. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I've gotta say, I was thoroughly impressed with the parts on display at the dragon (And I'm usually pretty picky about that stuff :lol: ) Keep up the good work. I'll probably be seeing you guys at the PUB :D

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    You're picky about parts? I've seen you go gaga over some of the biggest crap in the Mini community. :prrr:

*Not a comment on G4

7. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    :rolleyes5:

8. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! Look for my Red/White 2003 track car.

Graham

9. twindad222

twindad222 New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was great talking to you all at the Dragon. Thanks Wayne for all the time you spent talking to me Friday night it was a real treat. Any news as to when the website will be up and running? Can't wait to see some of the exhaust options for the R55. :Thumbsup:

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Graham, do you guys have any underpanels available at the moment?

I'm leaning toward the splitter/rear wing/rear diffuser as well (JCW exhaust, waiting to see if there'll be an option available for it, if not, may be time for a new exhaust), but I'll probably wait and do those all at the same time. Underpanels could go on anytime though....

11. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Please remember those of us with Justacoopers...

I would LOVE to get diffusers & underpanels.

:devil:

12. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's on the list of to do's

Graham

13. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    As I said in the other thread.....

Nice to meet you guys, and really liked your stuff.

If I don't make a trip out to Pittsburgh between now and MOTD 9, then you guys will at least be busy working on my car :Thumbsup:

14. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I had a long chat with some of the guys from G4 and received a lot of info on the amount of R&D they put into their parts and the backgrounds of those that make up G4. Kinda neat to catch a company on the come-up. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do in the future :Thumbsup:

15. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Mark here. Along with Graham and the other guys we want to thank everyone for visiting and hanging out with us at the Dragon. We had the best time:Thumbsup:. Glad you did too.
    As for the belly pans, they are under development. They will tie in with the splitter, side skirts and diffuser to train the air to do what we want it to do:idea:
    Right now we are working on getting our web site ready, hopefully by the end of the month. "Group4Autosport.com"
    The feedback we 're getting is almost overwhelming but we will answer all inquiries. We have new pictures coming and look for us in the next issue of MC2 mag. again.
    As with Graham, you can pm me.

Thanks,

Mark
    Group4Autosport

p.s. Group4Motorsports is our track division now.

16. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Would the underpanels alone (without the splitter and diffuser) be a helpful item for cleaning up the airflow under the car and possibly help with things like gas mileage?

17. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll take this question. Graham here. The under panels will do a lot to clean up the air under the car. MINI did that on the 2006 GP R53 car. We will be doing more than that though. Our technology will create low pressure zones under the car for added downforce. We regard that force as almost free because most cars don't use the underflow at all. Streamlined air under the car can be made to do what we want it to - create vacuum areas to hold the car to the road. It worked on '70s era Formula One race cars until the regulations prohibited it.

Our direction is to provide a unified airflow using our splitter and side skirts to channel air into our diffuser (itself a downforce element also).

Right now our R56 diffuser yeilds an average of 1.7 mpg improvement. The under panels have yet to be tested but have got to improve the aero under the car. We'll publish test results as we move forward.

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    So any thought to an easy mount / dismount system for that front splitter? I know I simply would not be able to mount one with the slope of my driveway.

And what about all those smaller aero pieces? The canards and the such.

19. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well it would be possible/plausible to have the splitter slide into place with keyhole slots and be tightened into place. The stanchions can be removed/reinstalled to fasteners in the grille (these fasteners would be the only components to remain with the splitter removed).

The canards are available to order. We don't have these in stock right now. I tested these on the track and they virtually eliminated traction issues in 50-70 mph turns. I always used to have wheelspin coming out of slow speed turns with my 240 whp even though I have a Quaife differential. Now, not so much.

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I would be game for the removable splitter. You guys really need to get your site up with some pics, prices, etc.