Mini News Hands-on with the 2013 JCW GP

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, May 12, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Big on performance, small in number: The MINI John Cooper Works GP. Fastest MINI ever built – Best lap of the Nürburgring-Nordschleife: 8 min. 23 sec. – Extensive use of motor sport technology – Racing feeling transferred to the road – Preview at the MINI United festival – Production limited to 2,000 cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Munich. Only once has there been anything like it, but even that wasn’t as quick. With the MINI John Cooper Works GP, the British premium brand has come up with another car of exceptional talent designed to deliver extreme performance on both the race track and the road. The sportiest road-registered MINI ever made will go on sale later this year in a limited run of 2,000 cars. It is currently completing a programme of testing in preparation for series production, part of which has involved setting an impressive fastest lap of the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife circuit. The MINI John Cooper Works GP lapped the erstwhile Grand Prix course in 8 min. 23 sec. In so doing, the new model has put clear asphalt between itself and numerous sports cars from loftier perches – and beaten the lap time set by its predecessor, the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit, by almost 19 seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underpinning the performance characteristics of the MINI John Cooper Works GP is exclusive powertrain, chassis and aerodynamics technology inspired directly by motor sport. Its twin-scroll turbo engine generates outstanding torque, displays remarkable elasticity and demonstrates a healthy appetite for revs. Specially developed, adjustable race suspension channels this superlative output into spectacular yet precisely controllable handling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As well as being undeniably imposing visually, the design of the body also gives the MINI John Cooper Works GP ideal aerodynamic balance in extreme driving situations – a key element in delivering that handling flair. Large front and rear aprons, striking side skirts and a bespoke roof spoiler are complemented by a newly developed rear diffuser which optimises airflow around the underbody. The interior of the MINI John Cooper Works GP also contributes to the car’s inspirational racing feeling; with the rear seats removed, it focuses unashamedly on the needs of the driver and co-driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Concentrated motor sport expertise – faithfully embodied at MINI by its John Cooper Works sub-brand – is the not-so-secret ingredient in the MINI John Cooper Works GP recipe. The “GP†tag on the model title tells you exactly where the extreme sports edition of the compact MINI most tellingly reveals its potential. The GP’s chassis configuration, the effectiveness of its race-spec braking system, the grip offered by its likewise bespoke racing tyres, and its aerodynamic properties have been honed into a high-performance whole on the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife circuit, erstwhile venue for Formula One races and lauded as the world’s most challenging race track. The noteworthy lap time set by the MINI John Cooper Works GP is the product of this extensive testing programme.

[​IMG]

The unadulterated transfer of motor sport expertise into the everyday driving environment has history at MINI; it was this approach that made the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit the epitome of extreme driving fun in a small car when it was unveiled in 2006. Specific output of 100 kW/136 hp per litre of displacement and similarly impressive reserves of racing technology have secured its status as a sought-after collector’s item today.

[​IMG]

The MINI John Cooper Works GP follows eagerly in the tyre tracks of its predecessor – and with an even greater spring in its step. It will be in similarly short supply; the world will have to make do with just 2,000 examples. Hosting the preview of the new model is another grand prix race track with history etched into every corner. The MINI John Cooper Works GP will be unveiled publicly for the first time at Le Castellet in France, venue for the MINI United festival on 11 – 13 May 2012.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy, I thought that Margi(my 08 R56 MCS/JCWm) was flashy, she's not any more flashy than the 2013 JCW GP. The GP's flashiness is in very good taste though.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Wow - very nice.!!! I'd only get out of it to pump in more gas

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Sweet! Liking in a lot!

5. bluefox280

bluefox280 New Member

May 9, 2012
    Mechanical Engineer
    Westminster, CO
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I love that the article calls out 18in Khumo's 'developed' for the GP v2.0, but the photos clearly show a 17in wheel and tire combo...

- Erik

6. JCWRocket

JCWRocket Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I wonder when they are going to give actual numbers, hp, price, etc?? And how about some interior shots?!

7. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Man that is sweet! Would it be sacrileges to black it out?... :D

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Oh dear...contrary opinion here. Looks to me like what happens when little girls break into mother's makeup cabinet. A little too much in some of the wrong places.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Will look much better when all the stickers are removed......

10. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    +1 Thank you, shoulda mentioned little boys and stickers while I was at it...

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I like my Dragon stickers. :cool:

Jim

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Looks great but needs some red in the wheels, lol.

Richard

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Actual numbers and price would be nice. Did I read that right? Adjustable suspension?

14. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Peel off the stickers and paint the arches and that's gonna be hot.

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Probably coilovers. Set high from the factory to meet European pedestrian impact requirements.
    Then DIY from there.....

16. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Don't get your knickers in a twist, my comment was all inclusive, I gots stickers on mine too.

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Isn't "knicker twisting" and Olympic sport? If not it should be. :biggrin5:

Jim

18. g33kguy

g33kguy The Diplomat
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2011
    Professional Geekery a.k.a. User Interaction Desig
    Midlothian, VA
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Price, price, and price... or should I even wonder? =)

19. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. Sounds like a track-day dandy! :D

Does it have a mechanical LSD? That's a deal-killer if it doesn't.

I'm guessing price point is $40k BEFORE bull-hooey dealer mark-up.

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The good news is that it has a Tritec in it.

:devil: