Happy Boxing Day

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lotsie, Dec 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hoping everyone has a great Boxing Day.:D

Mark

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ah...........
    This is the day you put everything back in the box so you can return the gift for something you really want?
    My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    No, I think it is more like Festivus, but you combine the airing of grievances and feats of strength into one event. :D

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it could be the airing of grievances, with boxing matches. It could also involve feats of strength, with the hauling away of all the boxes.

But what I believe it is really about, was that way back when, rich folks gifts came in very elaborate wooden boxes. Now most of these rich folks also had servants, and on the day after Christmas, they gave the boxes to the servants as gifts.

Mark

5. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Boxing day was traditionally a day the servants had a day off from their duties. Because of this the gentry would eat cold cuts and have a buffet style feast prepared by the servants in advance. In modern times many families will still follow this tradition by eating a family style buffet lunch, with cold cuts rather than a full cooked meal. It is a time for family, parlour games and sports in the UK.

The traditional recorded celebration of Boxing Day has long included giving money and other gifts to boxing organizers, who were needy and in service positions. The European tradition has been dated to the Middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown and there are some claims that it goes back to the late Roman/early Christian era; metal boxes were placed outside churches used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen.[1]

In the United Kingdom it certainly became a custom of the nineteenth century Victorians for tradesmen to collect their "Christmas boxes" or gifts in return for good and reliable service throughout the year on the day after Christmas.[2] The exact etymology of the term "Boxing" is unclear, with several competing theories, none of which are clearly true.[3]

The establishment of Boxing Day as a defined public holiday under the legislation that created the UK's Bank Holidays started the separation of 'Boxing Day' from the 'Feast of St Stephen' and today it is almost entirely a secular holiday with a tradition of shopping and post Christmas sales starting

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ Yup what he said, thanks for that docv:cornut:

For me it's a day of going nowhere, eating/drinking, playing with/installing/re-reading directions:rolleyes5:, of loot, eating/drinking, drinking, laying on couch, surveying loot, eating/drinking..., figuring out what to do with BOXES:lol:

Mark

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I'm with lotsie...but I thought it was BOXER day. The day when you are suppose to lay on the couch in your BOXERS all day, doing what lotsie said:cornut:

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    A Canuckian at heart:Thumbsup::lol:

Mark