Has anyone replaced their seats? (Airbag question)

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by ImagoX, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I've been driving around with the disabled passenger airbag warning light on for over a year now (a known issue on the Gen1 MINI), and now, to add insult to injury, my leatherette seats are starting to crack pretty badly. Hence, I'm considering replacing my stock seats with something more like the Sparco Marinos that Outmotoring sells, which I've heard really good things about performance- and comfort-wise:

MINI Cooper Sparco Torino 2 Seat

Has anyone in the local group had experience with installing these units? Did you manage to transplant the airbag sensors to the new seats OR (and this is my preference), did you manage to figure out a way to disable the sensor so that the warning light goes out and the bags deploy? I have no plans to ever put a rear-facing car seat and/or a toddler or featherweight carnival midget in the passenger seat, but I would, of course, want my front airbag to deploy in the event of a crash, which it won't currently with stock equipment.

I've seen several threads over on NAM about using "emulator" modules, with varying success, all the way to using applications to hack the car's firmware/sensor control software to override the sensors, but as far as I can tell NONE of those threads actually PROVE that the bags will deploy in he event of a crash (only that the lights go out).

Given the "nerd factor" we have in the C-bus group, I'm hoping that someone not only knows the answer, but also has the gear and has performed the fix... anyone? As always, thanks a million in advance!

--M

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So the black tape on the back of the gauge face method to block the light is not sufficient?

3. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    To block the light, yes. Are you saying that the tape will make the air bags deploy? That's... unexpected. So simple!

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Resistors for the R53 seat air bags works and depending on the year you may also need to transfer the passenger occupant seat sensor.

I am not going to crash my car to test it though. :rolleyes: My light was off for years then my Occ seat sensor went bad and I did not replace it I just used 3 M black tape to cover the light.

FYI - I know it's just a bad occ mat from scanning it with my BAVTech tool.

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Dave... so if it's just a bad mat, I can ignore the light, as the bags will deploy in an accident? Will the BAVTech tool identify if I need to use the resistor? It's hard to tell from posts how to properly identify specific components, and what the result of bridging/swapping/ignoring will be exactly, sorry... I can definitely block the light in the gauge/on the overhead, but worry that if the system is not set to properly ignore whatever components are at-fault, this will make for an even WORSE situation...

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes if its just that Mat I just ignore it.

To be 100 % sure you need to first scan your car with a tool that has BMW software and see what the fault is.

If it's an OC3 error its the Passenger seat mat.

7. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I don't suppose you were planning on attending the next breakfast event, hmmm? :ihih:

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Little far for me....:rolleyes:

9. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I see... didn't see you were in Philly. My bad.

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Thanks it look like you can plug this is for $70 bucks.
    [ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bypass-For-Mini-Cooper-R50-R52-R53-R54-Seat-Occupancy-Mat-Sensor-Airbag-Emulator-/161292351640?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AMini%7CModel%3ACooper&hash=item258dc5f898&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0]Bypass for Mini Cooper R50 R52 R53 R54 Seat Occupancy Mat Sensor Airbag Emulator | eBay[/ame]

12. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    ^^ I'll probably try that emulator when mine fails completely. Sometimes the warning light will go on, but it still turns off by itself after awhile.

When that emulator first appeared on eBay, some buyers were reporting that it didn't work and returned it, but more recent feedback has been positive.

13. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Suggestion....
    Grayraven on NAM (make as much fun of him as you want, he gets good ratings for sales in the marketplace) sells the right resistors for $5 if I recall right....you insert them in the seat airbag harness plugs...
    Then get the inpa/ncis expert with a cable for $38 on eBay from the guy in Romania and set the mat to euro mode to disable that....then install any seat you want...cost to get rid of the light....less than $50 and car will still pass safety inspection if your area does it....

14. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    A few more thoughts....
    What is the PRODUCTION DATE of your 2005....
    Mine was built in 2004...so no seat mat/weight sensor....
    If you have a 2005 built in 2004....all you need is the .02$ resistor....
    But if you have the mat....you either need the $70 emulator or need to mess with it in ncs expert AND the resistor....

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I put the resistors on the airbag wires under the OEM seats also for about $5 then swapped my seats and moved the OEM Passenger Mat and installed it in my Recaro seats. I had no problems with the light for years then one day it came on and I scanned it to find out the OC3 was shot.

A little piece of 3M Black tape on the back of the display to cover the light was cheaper then any fix at the time.

My buddy does my inspection & emissions so he knows my car. I pass every year. :ihih::Thumbsup:
    He knows I take care of my car because I either use a lift in his garage to work on my car. For all the MINI Specific stuff he knows it only gets worked on at Helix.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    First questions should be.....what is the build date and do you have the seat mat sensor?

17. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Where is the build date listed?

18. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Drives side door data plate...right by the latch on the pillar..the date will be listed by the VIN...

19. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Nobody thinks it is funny that Matt has a mat issue???

20. bizobby

bizobby New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I registered do I could post a response to this, more pertaining to the seat mat issue. I ordered an emulator phone after paying mini the 70 to diagnose the issue which was solely a bad seat mat. The sensor worked right away, I didn't even need a computer to reset the airbag system. I think it was a great alternative to paying the 1200 for the mat. The emulator tells the system that the seat is occupied so the airbag will fire in an accident. We tested to make sure it was working by driving around with seatbelt off. Soon enough the chime went off, which never went off before with the faulty mat. I also got a seatbelt override so I don't have to have the seatbelt plugged in when no one is on the seat.

Here is the one I got for my 2006 s

[ame=http://m.ebay.com/itm/161292351640?cmd=VIDESC]Bypass for Mini Cooper R50 R52 R53 R54 Seat Occupancy Mat Sensor Airbag Emulator | eBay[/ame]

Its from srsdrive on ebay if the link doesn't work